Thread: Rock mobile disk I/O Device Error

Rock mobile disk I/O Device Error

I am using 600GB hard drive from the brand called Rock mobile disk which is not working properly any more. It used to work perfectly last month when I last accessed it. Just last week, when I connected it in my computer again then it started giving me an I/O Device Error, read and unspecified error. I have tried to search for a fix for this problem on many website but cannot find any solution for same. Yesterday I again tried to connect this external hard drive and now it is not detected at all. Can anyone tell me how do I solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Rock mobile disk I/O Device Error

Hi Waneta,

I am glad to help you out. I’d like to check with you, after connected the HDD, is the LED light blinking? Do you feel any vibration from the HDD? Could you give me more details about that? If possible, please provide a snapshot and the specific error message. For the meantime, I suggest you some basic troubleshooting steps that may help you to solve the issue.

Option 1:

Check drivers in device manager.

1) Open the Control Panel.
    2) Select Device Manager .
    3) In the Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial bus controllers".
    4) Right click on your controller and select Properties.
    5) In the new pop-up, click on the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver". Then select "Search automatically".

Option 2:

1) Go into Disk Management and in the bottom-right panel look for a ribbon which labelled as RAW and has no drive name.
    2) Right-click on that & choose Change Drive Letter and Path.
    3) Click Add and accept the default letter or choose preferred letter from the list.
    4) Click OK.
    5) Restart your computer and try to access the HDD again.

Option 3:

1) Try to connect with different port on the same PC.
    2) Try to use it with a different USB cable (USB 3.0).
    3) Try a different HDD to make sure that the problem is with the Port and not with the original disk.
    4) Try to connect with different PC.

If you are having the same problem, please run the HD Tunes utility software in your system to test the HDD condition.
    Hope it helps.

Since the hard drive is not getting detected at all then it will be good if you take backup of the data from your external hard drive before it completely becomes useless. For that you can download a software called MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition by serching it on google. Try to backup all the data before attempting to repair the drive which can corrupt all the data. If this doesnt work then am afraid that your drive has gone completely dead.

It was noted on many discussions and even on many website that if you can remove all the drivers completely and also unplug your Rock Mobile external hard drive but do not yet switch off and instead remove the power lead from the drive. After that simply leave it for a few minutes and then re-connect the lead and let windows reinstall the drivers. If you have not already tried this then you can surely give this a try for sure.

If nothing is working for you then as a last resort, you can try to take your external hard drive to a professional recovery data center but note that their cost will be too much for recovering data from your hard drive. It might be possible for them to extract all the data or else little bit, but they do recover the data surely. It is upto you to make the decision whether you want to go for this costly recovery solution or not.