Thread: PC freeze after adding a 2TB WD drive on it

PC freeze after adding a 2TB WD drive on it

There is some issue in my pc. I am having a Gigabyte G41 series motherboard. I am using Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB RAM. There is some problem with my pc. I bought a new WD 2TB hard drive and this thing is not working well. When I connect the same the entire pc freeze and it is not working. I had tried a lot to fix this thing but it keeps on failing. when I connect and turn on the pc it freeze on the welcome screen. And does not move ahead. I am using Windows 7 here. How to fix this thing.

Re: PC freeze after adding a 2TB WD drive on it

Hi yuval,

I am sorry to hear about it. I’d like to check with you, as you mentioned that HDD is installed on the PC; its install as a primary or secondary drive? If as primary, did you try to install OS on it? Have you tried to connect the HDD to another PC? Could you give me more details about that? For the meantime, I’d suggest you some basic troubleshooting steps that may help you to solve the issue.

1) Try to connect with different port on same MOBO.
    2) Try to use it with a different SATA cable.
    3) Try a different HDD to make sure that the problem is with the Port and not with the original disk.
    4) And lastly, check the power management in Windows or the BIOS menu as well to see what all options are on and which ones are off due to power settings.

Try to connect the WD drive to another working computer as a secondary drive, and run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in the system to test the HDD condition.
    Please refer to the link below for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:
    {wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940} .

Hope it helps.

Thanks for helping. I dont have a sata cable rightnow, I will get one and will try the procedure you said. I am also thinking the issue might be with the cable. I will post back if this does not work.

Connect the hard drive to your pc and then turn it on. Press the Del button continuously from keyboard to enter bios. Go to the first section and in that you can see the had drive. Select through arrow keys and press enter to open it. Check the space. If it is not showing the exact space then once again restart your pc and again go with the same procedure. Go in the bios and check the space again. If it changes then it means this drive is damage. Due to which your system is freezing. You have to replace that.

Try changing the sata port where the drive is connected. You will also have to change the cable and then test back. Boot your pc in safe mode after connecting the drive. Windows will install some drivers to run the drive. I am quiet sure it will start working once properly configured. Sometime it is a bios limitation to read a high storage disc. You have to check that in your motherboard manual. This kind of issues never appear in high end board as they are having support for high storage.

Quote Originally Posted by yuval View Post
    There is some issue in my pc. I am having a Gigabyte G41 series motherboard. I am using Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB RAM. There is some problem with my pc. I bought a new WD 2TB hard drive and this thing is not working well. When I connect the same the entire pc freeze and it is not working. I had tried a lot to fix this thing but it keeps on failing. when I connect and turn on the pc it freeze on the welcome screen. And does not move ahead. I am using Windows 7 here. How to fix this thing.

Did you reset BIOS to default while adding new one?