Thread: Is it possible to convert a usb printer to wireless printer

Is it possible to convert a usb printer to wireless printer

I have a hp printer that has a usb cable connection. It is connected directly to my pc. And it is shared through the same. When I pc is off no one is able to take printout. I want to know that is it possible to convert my usb printer to a wireless printer. Through some third party usb adapter. I had seen portable usb wifi dongles that are used in pc for connecting internet through wifi. But I had not find anything like that for a printer. If this is available then it would be of great help for me. I can still use and share my printer with many. Almost all are having a laptop including my system.

Re: Is it possible to convert a usb printer to wireless printer

You can try using IOGEAR GBU321 Bluetooth USB Adapter. This will help you to use your printer on wifi. But for that you must have a usb port in your printer. If you are not having that then this is useless. So check that first. Many regular printer only comes with usb cable connectivity they are not having any extra port. Other than this I cannot see anything on the web that can help. For converting a regular usb printer to wifi printer you need to buy this kind of adapters. But as it says it will help you to use the printer via Bluetooth.

Re: Is it possible to convert a usb printer to wireless printer

The above one is just a regular Bluetooth adapter. You need a Wireless Print Server adapter that is different. It connect directly to the backside of the printer and has a wireless antenna. You have to install its software to configure the printer. For example you can search for TRENDnet Wireless N 1-Port Multi-Function USB Print Server. This is a portable device that can help you to use your printer on wifi and it is very easy to install also. But you have to check the cost. This things are rare today. Many all in one printer already comes with a wifi support. So not much people buy this.