Thread: Toshiba Satellite U945 laptop Slow shutdown

Toshiba Satellite U945 laptop Slow shutdown

Dear Community Members:
    I have a Toshiba Satellite U945 laptop that is a 32/64 bit OS (currently 64) and running Windows 8.1 (upgraded from 8 Pro w/Media Center). It has ALWAYS had a shutdown problem in that it responds to whether the laptop lid is closed or open (by design). However, I have changed this (in the BIOS/UEFI) but it really did not improve the behavior. Also, the update to 8.1 did nothing to improve this behavior as well. This causes it to "wake-up" when the lid is closed too soon after shut down. I simply reopen the lid and shut it down again or wait till it fully shuts down before closing the lid. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to eliminate this annoying behavior. Please note that if the laptop wakens again it heats up and can cause a fire if it is stored in a flammable environment.
    Thanks for your attention.
    Sincerely,
    WalleeNi

Re: Toshiba Satellite U945 laptop Slow shutdown

It really depends on what all software you have installed in your laptop. You can try to open msconfig in your Windows 8.1 system and disable all unwanted startup application that is not needed. This way you will come to know whether all the installed software in your laptop is causing the slow shutdown or else some other things like virus or anything else is causing the problem.

star Re: Toshiba Satellite U945 laptop Slow shutdown

Hi, Expertz.
    Thanks for your reply as it reminds me of alternative steps that can support the built-in (Windows 7/8/8.1) determination of programs that are slowing down the system shut-down process. However, as implied, my system has NOT flagged ANY existing program interfering with the process and I have a utility that flags programs that slow Start-up so I am hesitant to take any action to remove programs from either process. Nevertheless, I will initially use msconfig to check the shutdown process but, off-hand, I think this is limited to the same constraints as those mentioned.
    Thanks again.
    Sincerely,
    WalleeNi

Re: Toshiba Satellite U945 laptop Slow shutdown

So, did the msconfig trick work for you? You can also furthermore try to defragment your hard drive by clicking on My Computer and then right click on Hard drive, go to Properties > Tools > Defragment now. Also, try to disable all services which you dont require by going to Start > Run > Services.msc.