Thread: Recovering files from a dead hard drive

Recovering files from a dead hard drive

What are the possibility available to recover data from a dead hard drive. I am talking about a complete dead drive which is not working at all. I got my drive stopped working suddenly. I just came to know about that this morning. It was working well and I was working on a project. There was a bit while using the drive. Some kind of thing stucked inside. Later on it completely stopped working. I had seen a few data recovery services online. I want to know that are they good to recover files. There charges are really high.

Re: Recovering files from a dead hard drive

It depends on the amount of data to be recovered. If the data is too high then it will be complicated to get all the files and they will charge on that basis. I will recommend you to ignore this if your data is not really important. Always ask for a quote when you are going for this service. And if you are ready to pay then go for the best one. They might be more costly but they will be the best to give you all data recovered. Do not just go with any local shop they wont offer you a simpler way of recovering file.

If the drive is not working at all then it is good to forget the same. You cannot recover it and the agency that you go for will be far more costlier. That is the reason I always use a cloud storage solution. Most of them are free and accurate. For example we have Google Drive here. You can install that and push your file in that. All your data remains on the cloud. Whatever changes you do in the files those all will be modified and updated. It is the best way to keep your files and when your drive is dead or anything happen you have a updated copy online.

I had tried once using a recovery service. It was nearby my home and this helped me a lot. I was having a very less amount of data. Somehow it worked. I was able to get what I was looking for. But they charged it very high. It is recommended to go with data recovery services if the data is very important. In dead drive people have to open up the drive and then use some special tools to read the files. If the internal disc are damage then under no circumstances you can locate your files.

You must always use multiple data backup option. It is a good practice actually. Google Drive and One Drive are two common things you can go for. Google Drive offer you around 15GB of free storage and you can buy more if you want. You can keep your files on the same. 15GB files is more than enough. You can keep software, videos, images on the same. The same is applicable to one drive. IF the drive fails to work you have a option to recovery those files on your mobile or on a different pc.

First of all stop using pc. Examine your hard drive to check for external damage on controller board.Try to plug in it with new data cables. This condition can be possible because sometimes motherboard gets affected not hard drive.If this isn't work then try to remove drive's controller board carefully. This is what i did. It will be tough but helpful.

I lost my drive last month. It was due to power outage. There was lots of data on that. I was using a paid cloud storage service. I got around 4GB of space online. A few of my files were saved and all were lost. But fortunately my drive started working after changing the sata cable. The next thing I did is configure Google Drive and moved all my data. It took around 2 days to upload all the files and it started working. Cloud storage is lot more helpful than any thing else.