Thread: Possibility of upgrades on a Mac based system

Possibility of upgrades on a Mac based system

What are the chances of having a good hardware upgrade on mac based system. I had seen compare to a windows pc, you have less option to upgrade a mac pc. What if in future we have to run some more heavy apps and for that you have to upgrade the ram. In Windows we can buy any ram from local market for custom pc, but for mac things are very limited. That is the biggest drawback of mac system and things are so costly. How you upgrade your mac system. Do you buy hardware from online market or you go to apple care.

Re: Possibility of upgrades on a Mac based system

There are less chances available through which you can upgrade your mac system manually. That means you have to take them to apple care. And I agree about the high price thing. It is quiet sure that mac system are really costly. If you have custom build then you can do a lot more thing in that. You can add multiple amounts of ram, you can hook different processors, etc. Mac pc are also faster because they already come loaded with extreme hardware. They have something like 16GB ram or quad core processor etc.

You can upgrade directly at the care center where you are buying them. There are limited things you can get. You can get a ram or more storage. That's it. Or you can just buy some good keyboard/mouse. There is nothing else in that. Apple does not allow you to create your own custom pc. That option is only provided by Dell. This is one of the biggest drawback buying a mac. It has less upgrade solution if you are having a very outdated model. Still in windows desktop you can do a lot more thing.

Mac already comes with a very high end hardware configuration and I do not really think you might have to upgrade that. You can go with what it is offering you. When you are buying get a high end one. So that you dont have to worry much about the upgrade. You can stick with what you are having. Even if Apple offer you to go for upgrades I am quiet sure no one is going to opt for the same. Because they will be too much costly. And compare to that you can go with what you are already having.

Upgrades are a kind of big pain. And when you are going to sell your old mac pc you wont get much paid. It is right that in windows custom build you have more option. What I am going to do is buy a retail dvd of mac. And install that on my custom system. So that if in future I want to increase the storage or gpu I can do that. Instead of going for a tiny mac I can still use the operating system on my regular pc. And that will be lot more cheaper. I can spend the money on big screen.