Thread: Slow file transfer through TeraCopy in 16GB Kingston Pen Drive

Slow file transfer through TeraCopy in 16GB Kingston Pen Drive

File transfer is extremely slow when I am trying to move files in a 16GB pen drive. The default way is much slower. I had connected the drive on usb 3.0 port. It has usb 2.0 interface. But the speed is not going ahead 3mb/s. It take around 30 minutes to move a 6GB of data. I want to increase this. I had connected the pen drive on a 10 usb hub. This hub has usb 3.0 ports. Other pen drive are working faster except mine. I am not able to figure out the reason. Is this a driver problem. I think I must get atleast 10mb/s of speed.

Re: Slow file transfer through TeraCopy in 16GB Kingston Pen Drive

The speed usually depend on the device you are using. If it is slow then you cannot do anything. It will remain slower. You must try to connect it on your pc port. That means which is on the front or a port which is directly on the backside of your system. Connect the pen drive on that and you will see the speed difference. Usb 2.0 will not help you much if still you use it on a usb 3.0 port. This will not help. Some drives get slow as time goes on. You cannot do anything. Teracopy offer you a reliable transfer. Even if it is slow it will move the file.

Speed issue is common on usb 2.0 ports. It is right that you wont get any benefit if you are using them on usb 3.0. You have to buy a pen drive with usb 3.0 which is much more faster and better. I also have a 32gb drive which only offer me around 3mb/s of speed. That is very slow. But still enough to take data backup. I do not use the pen drive for movies or games. I just use it for backup purpose. I had bought a new Kingston usb 3.0 pen drive which offer me around 30mb/s of speed. This is much more faster.

My old pen drive has already stopped working. For usb hub there are some which comes with power adapter. You have to simply hook the same and you will get more speed. I had got one from ebay which has 10 port hub and comes with a power adapter. When I use that without power it works slow, but when I connect the power adapter it is much faster and even on slow pen drive the speed is hiked to 10mb/s. And the transfer speed is bit increased more. You need to have a good usb hub for better speed.

It can be issue with the usb. Just check whether it is getting hot while transferring the file. If yes then it has some issue with the internal flash chip. You have to use it on some different port to find out whether there is any change in the speed. If not then you have to use it with slow speed. There is nothing much you can do. High storage pen drive works faster if you are having a usb 3.0 ports with usb 3.0 usb drives. You can gain around 10 to 20 mbps of speed on the that depend on the drive.

Speed issue is big thing when it comes to high storage device. The issue lies with usb power. If the usb is not getting enough power it will be low on speed. The good thing you can do is simply check the drive on each and every port. There are around 4 ports on a motherboard. You can try connecting them.If you are getting higher speed in anyone of them then you can use it more nicely. Usb hugs are limited to the connectivity. If there are usb devices connected then just remove them.