Thread: Printer disappearing on Windows 8.1

Printer disappearing on Windows 8.1

I am unable to figure out what is happening in the system. Each time when I try to print from Excel the printer disappears. It is a lan printer which is configure and shared for all. And this is not working. I had to re-add the printer every time. It is not fixed. I am having this issue after windows 8.1 update. Before that the printer was default on windows 7 pc. What can be the reason behind the same. Is there anyone who knows how to get rid of this issue. It is quiet annoying to re-add the same again and again.

Re: Printer disappearing on Windows 8.1

Looks like your system is not having proper printer drivers. Due to which you are getting that issue. It is good if you can install the drivers first. Do not just add the printer. Update the drivers also. There are two ways of doing this. First you can do that by downloading the drivers manually from official site or second you can navigate to the pc where printer is installed. Right click on that and choose connect. Then set it as default. Once it is added the the printer will not disappear back again.

Re: Printer disappearing on Windows 8.1

This type of problem is limited to network printers. You have to check that printer spooler service must be working in the background. Or else you will keep on getting the same error. For that go in Control Panel and then click on Administrative Tools. In that click on services and checkout for printer spooler. Right click on that and choose start. And set the mode to automatic. If it is on manual then that can be reason for printer issue. Also update the printer drivers. That will also help you in fixing the issue.