Thread: Can I cool down a hard drive through a external fan

Can I cool down a hard drive through a external fan

I have a 500GB usb hard drive. When I move data in the drive I had seen that it gets very hot. I hope this does not damage the drive. I want to know that can I cool it down through some external fan. I can see laptop coolers. They come with a simple platform where you can keep the laptop. But does there is a portable cooler available for external hard drives. My drive temperature goes very high and it also slow down the transfer speed.

Re: Can I cool down a hard drive through a external fan

There are ample of coolers available for laptop, but you cannot find anything for a hard drive. You can keep it on a surface with fan below. That will cool it down. Or you can keep it near to ac if you think the drive is getting very hot. That is the only thing you can do. Heating is common in external drive. You don't have to worry much. You can keep it aside if you think the drive is getting very hot. Or you can take it to he service center.

Re: Can I cool down a hard drive through a external fan

Very high temperature is not good. It looks that your drive is not getting enough power to work. You have to use dual usb connection for your drive. Many drive comes with dual usb cable. You have to connect both of them and then check. You can use a pc fan for that. You have to keep it in the open and you can place the drive on it. It will provide regular air flow but it is not going to help much.