Thread: 80GB IDE hard drive connected through raid card not working

80GB IDE hard drive connected through raid card not working

I purchased a cheap raid card from ebay. I want use my old IDE drive as secondary storage for backup.The drive is just around 8 months also and working fine. The system I have does not has a IDE port in it. It has only Sata. I want connect this drive on my pc and use it as secondary storage for backup only. So I got this raid card that has a ide port on it. After connecting I can see a new hardware wizard. But it failed to install and the drive is not detected.

Re: 80GB IDE hard drive connected through raid card not working

Just check in the box whether you got a driver cd or not. This comes with all pci cards. You have to use that to install the drivers. This will first install the raid card and then through that the drive will work. You can go in device manager to verify the status. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. In that you can see a pending hardware with exclamation sign. Right click and update drivers.

You had bought the wrong card. Raid are used for backup and they need identical hard drive. You cannot use them on drives with different sizes. You can find more ide pci card which are cheaper and they help you to use old drive in your pc. I am using one which has two ide ports. And it is a kind of plug and play hardware. Once you connect windows install the drivers automatically. It is simple to configure.

The simplest thing you can do here is simply get a ide to sata convertor. It is a tiny card that has a ide port at one side and sata on the other. You have to connect the drive in your cpu case and then just hook the card. It is very simple and effective. It works well with all type of ide hard drive. There is no need to buy a separate pci card. It will be complicated to configure this because of in appropriate drivers.