Thread: Dell Precision 690 DVD RW stopped working

Dell Precision 690 DVD RW stopped working

I am unable to figure out what really happened to my system. The dvd drive has stopped working on its own. It was working fine last week. I had played some movies through the same and it worked smoothly. But now when I am trying to play a few videos files it not giving appropriate output. I want some help here to fix this thing. I have to format my pc to re-install windows because it is having a virus problem.

Re: Dell Precision 690 DVD RW stopped working

For optical drive you can try updating the driers. Or you can also try to re-install the same through Device Manager. For that you have to right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Right click on the optical drive and choose uninstall. Reboot your pc and windows will install it automatically. Then try to play your files back in the same. It will work once the drivers is updated back.

Re: Dell Precision 690 DVD RW stopped working

If the above process is not working then there are two reason behind your problem. First the cable is not proper. You have to change that and second the drive head is gone. There is a laser head in this drive which stops working when you don't use them for long time. So first check the cable thing. You can buy a new sata or ide cable whatever you use in your system. And if that does not help then the head is damage.