Thread: Cannot see second hard drive on Dell XPS 8700

Cannot see second hard drive on Dell XPS 8700

I am trying to attach a second hard drive on Dell XPS 8700. It is a IDE hard drive. After connecting the same the drive is not visible in My Computer. It is a old 160GB IDE drive that was used on my old pc. I had sold that to my friend and in this system it is not detecting. The drive was working well on my pc. What can be the issue here. I had tried reconnecting the drive but it fails to work.

Re: Cannot see second hard drive on Dell XPS 8700

Change the power cable. There is a molex connector for IDE drive. And there are multiple power connections available on a psu. Just check that first try to change it and hook it on the hard drive. It can be a power issue. The drive fails detect when it is not properly turned on. Just try to remove one from the optical drive if you have any and hook it on the hard drive. If this drive still does not work then there are chances that it is damage.

Re: Cannot see second hard drive on Dell XPS 8700

Try to replace the cable. Most of the board are having two IDE drive. Old boards are move. You can test by placing the drive on IDE port which is used by optical drive. You can remove the cable and try to connect. You can also try using the cable of optical drive. There can be fault with the cable of your existing hard disk due to which you are facing issue and you are unable to see the drive in bios.