Thread: How to fix hard drive frozen password

How to fix hard drive frozen password

I want to unlock the hdd bios password. I went inside the bios and when I tap on to set bios password nothing is happening. It is grayed out. I had restarted the pc a number of time but it fails to work. I am need a bit help here to make it work. Does removing the bios battery can help. I hope this is not a major issue. I want to lock the password so that no one can change the bootable media options. They must be configured on default.

Re: How to fix hard drive frozen password

This thing happen if you had recently updated your bios and it is not done properly. So depending on your motherboard model you have to download the right bios version and run the same. This will help you in fixing the issue. Most of the motherboard comes with bios update utility and it will automatically add the latest bios in your system. So just update that and try once again. I am sure that will help you in fixing the issue.

Hi CECH

I agree with JErastus, please update your BIOS, it will help you.

There are other ways also to fix the issue. This problem occur if a bios update is not done properly. But you can still fix the issue without re-updating the same. For that first you have to set supervisor password. You have to enter on that and then you can add the password. Save the changes and restart the pc. Then once again go in bios and clear the supervisor password and save changes. That will be enough to fix the issue.

If the above process does not work then the only option left is to update the bios back again. I think that is the only way through which this problem can be fixed. For that use the bootable method. You have to visit the motherboard manufacturer's website for that. There will be a bootable iso file. Run that and re-flash the bios. This will unlock everything. And this is also the safest method to update. This would be more helpful.