Thread: Clicking sound on 650w Corsair psu

Clicking sound on 650w Corsair psu

There is a clicking sound in my 650w psu. It is not very old. But the sound is irritating. Sometime it goes off on its own. I am not able to figure out the problem behind this. It appears loud when I am playing games. I want a bit help to fix it. I hope this is not a damage one. How can I check it. Will it be good if I open up the entire psu. There are minimum screws on the top part. I think I can pull it out easily.

Re: Clicking sound on 650w Corsair psu

Don't do that if it is under warranty. You might loose it. It is better you carry it to service center. There can be something dust or part inside which is causing the problem. You have to remove that. You can try using a blower instead. It will push the dust out easily. If still the sound is constant then you have to get it repaired. Just check the cables also once. Tie them together with a cable clip.

Every psu has fan in it. There can be two reason for the noise. First it can be due to something stucked in the fan or due to broken fan. You can remove the psu safely outside and turn it on. And see it seining. You will be able to figure out the problem. Do not open it. Because if you do that then you will void the warranty as mentioned above. You can get that fixed for free if you take to the official service center.

I got this issue long back in a 250w psu. I was not sure what really happened, but the psu started making clicking sound first. Then suddenly the pc went off and it was not working. I carried smps to repair center where I found that is damage due to short circuit. You must check and do not use the psu if the sound is constant. It is good if the noise is coming from the fan. Because that can be resolved.