Thread: How to get HD audio from a old Vista PC

How to get HD audio from a old Vista PC

How to get hd audio on a old system. I am having a Windows Vista pc. It was bought a couple of years ago. It has a Dual core processor and 2GB ram. I had recently added one more stick of 2GB ram. I want some help here to use it like a audio thing. I have a tiny DJ setup. I think this system can be used for media purpose. It has Vista. What all things will I need for HD audio.

Re: How to get HD audio from a old Vista PC

You will need a good sound card for that. You can buy that. A good sound card that supports 5.1 audio channel will be enough to give you amazing audio output. Just hook the speakers on the sound card and done. You will get the kind of output you want. Buy good set of speakers. Many sound card comes with audio manager software. That add more benefits and give you full settings to customize the audio output.

Windows itself comes with different audio settings that can be used to get surround sound effect. I had tested this settings on Windows 7 and I think the same will be also available on Windows Vista. For that first you have to go in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Playback > Speakers > Configure > Audio Channels. Choose 5.1 surround settings from it.

There are some audio effects available in the same panel. Just configuring 5.1 surround is not enough. In the same section you can find Enhancements. Click on that. From there you can choose various effects. Like Bass Boost, Virtual Surround, Room Correction, etc. You can click on them and test a preview also. The one which you like the best you can use it. Just test this settings on your speakers.

In order to get HD sound you must have a good audio chip on your system motherboard. Or else there is no use of all those settings. It is always good to go with a separate sound card. Because those comes with many things. Like Dolby Digital. A separate hardware here can easily manage the audio quality and work well. Proper driver updates are the second thing you have to check.

One thing you guys are unable to understand. Even after adding so many things if your audio file does not support HD then you won't get the proper output. I had tried playing some old audio files on my 5.1 surround sound speaker. The sound quality is just pathetic. But when I play YouTube video the sound is amazing. I get different type of sound effect on that. The same is not working on old files.

There are different HD sound formats. Like Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio. You have to check this when you are out for buying new speakers. Check the features. There are many regular speakers. That do not provide you theater kind of effects. So you have to choose that properly. It is necessary that you buy the right speakers and a good sound card. That will give you hd audio.

My friend has a home theater setup at his home. He is using a amazing receiver. It manages all the audio. The speaker are connected to the receiver and it is then further connected to a blu ray player. There are many ways through which you can get proper hd audio. The cheapest one is through a sound card. Any decent sound card is enough for personal entertainment.