Thread: HDD size not right anymore

HDD size not right anymore

Hello,

need help from profi. Has a 3 TB WD HDD. I red that´s possible to format it with FAT32. So i used tool fat32formater.

This tool prepares 2 volumes when i press format button. One with 768 GB, which is the first one and will be formated from that tool, and a second one with 2048 GB.

It seems like, it´s not possible, to format more than 2048 GB with FAT32. So i gave up and wanted back to NTFS. But from now on it´s not possible to make the 2 volumes to one!?

I did it with eSATA. I reconnected the disc with USB, but WIN 7 ist only recognize the first one with 768 GB. Also with knoppix, gparted etc. My 3 TB ist now 768 GB!!

I also tried SEATOOLS. It shows me 3 TB HDD. I wrote to write zero length in quick issue, but it doesn´t help.

Have anybody an idea to get my 3 TB HDD back?

Thank you,
    Jochen

Re: HDD size not right anymore

Can you check whether there is any other partition on the drive? It looks to me that there could be a partition that is causing the computer not to recognize it. You can try to use the HP USB Disk Format utility that can be found on the HP official website which is able to do a whole USB drive to Fat32 very easily and quickly.

So. You can do it with diskpart. You must delete all and initialize again. Than the to partitions will go to one.

You can also try GPT instead of MBR. If your hard drive is already in GPT then you can use diskpart. To do that open command prompt in administrator mode and then type the below:
    diskpart (press Enter)

list volume (press Enter)

(find the volume you want to extend)

select volume z (z is the number of the volume you want to extend) (press Enter)

extend (press Enter)