Thread: WD external hard drive password protected

WD external hard drive password protected

I am using having an old Western Digital external hard drive that was not used for quite sometime. Now I want to use it in my pc to get some important data but when I connect it then it says it is password protected. I have not given any password to this drive so why is it asking for password? Is there anyone who can help me out? Thanks

Re: WD external hard drive password protected

Can you tell us what operating system you have installed in your computer? You can attempt to plug the hard drive to a different computer or some different account for example. Also let us know what is the model of the External hard drive of Western digital you are using? If the drive is not working on other computer then perhaps you will have to use some recovery software to get the data.

Hi Mathis,
    i agree with Rawko, try your disk on another System or try to contact the tech support of Western Digital.

I think that you can try to turn off or disconnect the hard drive you do not want accessed. And then use different software that are availabel to lock or password protect drives partitions folders available. There is a tool called Folder Lock that you can use to unlock the drive if it is set to password protect some folders. To access them you will need to unlock it.

Your hard drive might be write protected and to remove it click Start button and then in the search bar type regedit. After the registry editor open go to this following path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies. Now if the registry key StorageDevicePolicies does not exist, you will need to create it manually. After that double click the Write Protect key and then set the value to 0 for OFF and value=1 for ON Data box and then press ok. Restart the computer to apply the settings.