Thread: What are the different type of wireless display device

What are the different type of wireless display device

Recently many new type of wireless display technology showed up. Most of them are supported by mobile platform. One best example is Google Chromecast. A independent device that allow you to stream videos through wifi. It is really easy when I saw a demo video. I am looking for more information on other similar things. I am planing to get a tablet and new HDTV. So this will help me to choose which is good and which is not.

Re: What are the different type of wireless display device

Chrome cast is quiet popular. It is simple and easy to manage also. It works with many devices. Wireless display technology are getting better day by day. But they are limited to device connectivity. And many of them will only work through a separate streaming hardware.

Apple is offering this thing from long time. It is called as Airplay. A tiny device that offer you stream videos on different apple devices. You can share a video on your iPhone, iPad or on Apple TV. It works nicely and is also very easy to configure. You can also share the video content on our mac system. This concept is later on adopted by others and they came up with their own stuff. I had seen this setup at my friends house. He use his TV for playing games through this iPad. The display was quiet nice. Air play is one of the most easy to use tool for getting similar displays on various hardware. For portable platform like iPhone and iPod you will have to use applications. You can control the video playback and also do a number of different things. But the limitation lies with apple devices only. You cannot use it on any other thing.

Wireless display works only with compatible devices. That means you cannot use it with anything. In coming time like how DLNA or USB is common this thing will also get common. And we can surely view our mobile or tablet photos on a big screen.

Chromecast is the most popular and cheapest I think. You don't really need anything to use this thing. It is a usb based wireless device that allow you to have a simple connectivity. You can connect your HDTV through that. All you need is a usb port on your television set. It is one of the best and easiest wireless display device I had seen yet. My friend is using this on this home theater. He connect chromecast with this tablet and use to view all the photos and videos in the same. It works fast and has not connectivity problem. Before if you want to use a widescreen display on your home theater system you have to use a media server device. This is a dedicated tool which has different UI and also a remote and other stuff. It is a bit complicated to manage.

I agree Chromecast is very easy. It is simple to manage and has simple operation. There is no need to install anything. I am going to get one soon. I was before thinking of buying a media server, but compare to that Chromecast is cheaper and effective.

Different manufacturer come up with different type of wireless technology. DLNA is the most common one. But this is only used for audio purpose. For video there are more different thing. Sony comes with Sony Link. You can use different Sony devices on a single platform through Sony Link. It works fine and has no connectivity problem. But it is not compatible with any other stuff. Miracast is another common standard that is used by many. But not very popular. It supports various devices and different mobile platform like Android and Windows. You can use your device on receivers which support Micracast. This also offer you hassle free connectivity.

In the same way Intel provides WiDi. This is intel technology to connect your device to an wireless display. But I am not really sure how it works. Chromecast is the best. Because here you just have to switch to usb source for using it.