Thread: My 16GB usb is showing 64mb file space and does not format

My 16GB usb is showing 64mb file space and does not format

A weird thing happen with my usb. It is a 16GB Kingston pen drive. I connected it to my pc at the front side. It showed me only around 16MB storage space. When I double click on it, there is nothing inside. I tried to format it but it is giving me some system cannot load file error. I need some help to fix this. I have some important data in it. How can I pull it back. The pen drive was my default location to backup files.

Re: My 16GB usb is showing 64mb file space and does not format

Try copy-pasting the entire drive onto a location on the hdd.

It is damage and it will not work. You have to buy a new one. I also lost my 8GB pend drive in the same manner. I kept in the drawer and after a year I found it. When I plugged it, I got a same 16mb space and it is not formatting also.

There are some tools on which you can test the usb. I had got the issue with a 4Gb pen drive. I was trying to make a bootable Linux usb from it. So I formatted in different partition format. But when I connected in Windows it was not working. IT shows me very less space. After searching for hours on web I found Easeus Partition Magic. It is a nice software that help you to modify the partitions and make it proper as it was before. You can download it and format your usb. It is really awesome to restore your old partition format also. Just connect the pen drive and launch the applications. In that you can see the usb detected. You can then right click on it and format it. If it does not format or you give you any error then there is a hardware failure. But if it works then you will get the old usb space back.

It looks the internal flash chips are damage. Due to which you are not getting the full space. The best way to format it is through Disk Management. But if in that it does not work then buy a new one. No use of wasting time on it. USB's are very cheap today.

To fix it you have to use third party partition restore software. For Windows you can use Bootice. It can help you to repartition the existing space. When you are using your pen drive to install a operating system the partition table is overwritten. Sometime it is modified due to which the usb does not show you full space in Windows. You have to modify the partition table and done. It will be restored as it was before. So for that download Bootice first. Launch the software and you can see a usb selected by default. Click on Manage in it. You will see a window in which you have to choose USB-HDD Mode. This is one of the common mode which is identified by almost all system. Select and then at the end choose the file system and click on OK.This will take some time. If your usb is not having any hardware fault, then the tool will restore the exact space. But if there is any hardware fault then it will not work and will not give you any proper output.