Thread: Help needed to reset AirPort time Capsule

Help needed to reset AirPort time Capsule

How to reset a Airport Time capsule. It is connected to our lan network which is the default storage location. From few days I am not getting a good data transfer speed for the same. It is going out very slow. I think by resetting the same the issue can be resolved. The guy who take care about this thing is not available for two weeks. So I need some simple troubleshooting steps to reset and configure it back.

Re: Help needed to reset AirPort time Capsule

There is no need to reset it. It is better if you can checkout the settings. Slow speed can be due to various other reason. You have to check that first. If you reset everything will be wiped out completely and you might face difficulty in restoring everything back.

After resetting you will have full control over the time capsule. I had used this when I forget the password. So through reset you can reconfigure it back again. Now here there are different type of reset options. All you have to do is press the reset button. This is called as software rest. And then through Airport Utility application you can move ahead with configuration of the same. When you press the reset button, all internet configuration and settings are wiped out. This same like factory settings. So it is the most easiest way to restore the original settings back. Before that it is better if you can locate the problem with the Time capsule. You had mentioned that you are having problem with the speed and other stuff. This can be resolved if you take care about the same from internal settings. Now Soft reset does not permanently disable the settings. It gives you a 5 minute time. When you press the settings the security is disable for 5 minutes in the means time you can make changes.

The best thing you can do is refer the inside manual. This is one of the best way to troubleshoot the problem. A manual has a complete information about fixing the problem. So you just have to follow the instruction and then test back.

Soft reset will help you for sometime only. It will not permanently resolve the problem. Here you can go with hard reset also. When you press that it wipe out everything. Hard reset clear all the settings and offer you impressive way of fixing the problem. When you hit it all settings are deleted. In soft reset the settings are not deleted they remain active in the background and might turn on after a few moment. Soft reset is not factory settings. That is entirely different things. Sometime it happens that you want to access something or make changes, but due to security you are unable to do that. So at that moment you can hit soft reset button and view the content of that drive. Later on the settings are restored back again. I will recommend you go for hard reset. It will allow you to remove the saved profile and you can a new one back again. This is also not a factory settings. It comes in the last stage when you are unable to find anything.

I can quickly give you the method to soft reset. For that first arrange a pin. Hold the reset button for some second. The light will start flashing. This shows that the device is in reset mode. Go in AirPort Menu bar and choose the network which is created by the capsule. You can then open the Air Application under Utility. Click on that and then choose Restore Previous settings. that's all.

It is better if you can run completely factory restore. This will put the default settings back and you can once again configure it. There are chances that this might improve the performance of time capsule. I am going to give you the process of doing the same. For that you have to access AirPort Utility. Through which you can run a complete factory restore. This would be more helpful. Here you do not have to press any button. You can just run the factory restore through the application. Now to launch Airport Utility Application. It is located inside Utility. From there you have to choose the Time Capsule. It will remain listed in the application. Then click on Manual Setup. It will ask you for the password. You have to type that. From the menu you can choose restore default settings. That's all your time capsule is restored back to its original settings. And you can reconfigure it.

Just press the reset button for sometime. That's all. It will do the job. It is one of the most easiest way to resolve various problem you are facing in the storage device. That is the only last option left if you have such kind of problem.