Thread: How to know hard drive is failing

How to know hard drive is failing

I was just curious to know that how do you know if a Hard Drive is failing? I am using a Western Digital 1TB hard drive and wanted to test it so that I can find out if its failing or not. I am having some issues with this drive at the time of scanning by Antivirus, it will usually make a different noise. Also if I am trying to play some video or music then it will not load sometimes? Does anyone know what causes this? Thanks

Re: How to know hard drive is failing

For a Western Digital hard drive, there is tool called Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to test the health of the HDD. You can download it from ths link and test your hard drive with the same tool. Note that you will have to right click on its exe file and then Run it as administrator for proper functioning. You will be given 4 options to test the hard drive, that is; QUICK TEST, EXTENDED TEST, WRITE ZEROS, VIEW TEST RESULT.

I find Portable Hard Drive Sentinel tool to be the best diagnostic software for hard drives. This tool can be used to diagnose hard drive and even SSD devices on any PC without installation or configuration changes or files right on your computer. It also offers ample of possibilities for remote monitoring the hard drive. The HDD status can be checked remotely by a web server or through a mobile phone or a PDA as well.

Can you let us know from how long have you been using the Western Digital HDD that you have? I think that if it is under 3 years, then you can replace the hard drive because it will be under warranty. Also, when you say that you hear some kind of noise then it is like a clicking sound coming from the drive? If yes then you should get ready to backup your important data from the computer to a new hard drive because the drive will fail sooner than you think.

Try to use third party software.It is very effective.