Thread: Good sata controller for hooking up multiple hard drive

Good sata controller for hooking up multiple hard drive

My client wants a good Sata controller. He wants some hard drive upgrade on his old system. I am not really sure about the hardware config. I am trying to find a good sata controller card that can allow multiple hard drive connection. I think there will be two dvd drive also. I have a doubt here. Instead of connecting a Sata controller is it worth to go for a new motherboard. But what about the processor and other hardware.

Re: Good sata controller for hooking up multiple hard drive

If you buy a new board then surely you will have to upgrade everything. Because the entire socket and other stuffs are changed. You cannot use the old cpu on the same. It is better to stick with a SATA controller pci card. But you can only use limited number of storage device on it.

There are some pci cards on ebay. It will cost you around Rs.500 or higher depending on the quality of card you are buying. The SATA controller is a kind of pci card on which you can connect around 4 SATA devices. If you go for a new board you will get more features, but for that you have to upgrade everything. You will have to choose a board which supports your cpu socket. To find taht you can install cpuz on the system. This software provide information on the internal components like the cpu, ram and motherboard model. On that basis you can try locating a good bard which would fit your need. I think most of the new board today comes with 4 to 6 sata ports. And you can extend the same more by adding a pci card. You can maximum have 4 ports. That's all. To get more you will have to add one more sata controller card on the system and there is no guarantee whether it will work or not.

If you buy a good quality card then it will support higher number of devices. The one which I am using in my system comes for Rs.1,500. It is costly but working fine. So buy a good one or else it will also effect the internal connected hardware.

A 4 port sata controller will cost you around Rs.2,000. This is the best one I think. If you go for cheaper one then you will get the get the kind of output you are looking for. Sata controllers are costly. And to use them you have to install the drivers also. Sometime it might not work if your board has a limited support for sata cards. I had tried to connect two sata cards on my pc which failed to work. It was a very old p4 pc which was used in a medicine shop. The storage inside was limited. To add one more drive I have to buy a ide controller which works well. So even if you are buying a multi-port sata card it is necessary that your board must have support for the same.

A 4 port sata controller will cost you around Rs.2,000. This is the best one I think. If you go for cheaper one then you will get the get the kind of output you are looking for. Sata controllers are costly. And to use them you have to install the drivers also. Sometime it might not work if your board has a limited support for sata cards. I had tried to connect two sata cards on my pc which failed to work. It was a very old p4 pc which was used in a medicine shop. The storage inside was limited. To add one more drive I have to buy a ide controller which works well. So even if you are buying a multi-port sata card it is necessary that your board must have support for the same.