Thread: It is worth to buy a external blu ray drive

It is worth to buy a external blu ray drive

What is the cost of a good external blu ray drive. I got some disc which are not working on my pc. It was purchased by my friends. It has many hd movies. I
    had tried to use it on my regular dvd drive in my laptop. But it shows nothing.Later on I found the blu ray logo on the disc cover. I need this for my laptop. Also can I copy the movies from that disc to my pc. And will the movies work in media player.

Re: It is worth to buy a external blu ray drive

LG has some models under that. GP50NB40 is one of them. It cost around Rs.2,000. This is a external blu ray player. You can run the disc on it. But I do not think Windows Media Player can play that disc. Try VLC instead.

Instead of buying external at the same price you can get a internal blu ray player if you have a desktop. The model is LG GH24NS95. But if you own a laptop only then you can stick with the external one. Windows Media Player has no support for blu ray videos. You will have to use any other media player. The best one is ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater. This is a all in one media player. It is a paid software. But you can download a 15day trial and test it. The tool is amazing and it offer you a full solution to play tons of video file format. It works great. You can play a blu ray dvd, avchd, etc on it. It is simply to operate also. It also comes with 3D support. If you are having any 3D videos you can play them on your screen instantly. The benefit of using this tool is that it is capable of converting your existing videos to HD resolution. The internal algorithm boost the video output. It is ideal to use on htpc. Where you can hook a widescreen tv and use the player to play hd videos. It is a complete theater type of software which provide you amazing screen resolution and high sound capability also. After buying a blu ray player you will require this tool to run the videos. Do not go for VLC. The output will be not so great on that.

External blu ray drives are costly. The benefit of buying them is that it works with other disc also. I think you can find a cheaper model on Amazon. It has more higher number of brands. If you go for LG or Asus then the product will be costly. So just once checkout on Amazon or eBay and see what you get.