Thread: Printer with OCR facility

Printer with OCR facility

Which printer comes with a OCR facility. I had seen some models on web but they does not looks to be having that feature. I need a decent printer that can be in budget and it allows me to have OCR facility also. I am having some sort set of papers. I have to scan them and copy them in my pc. Also I want to convert them to text so that I can simply edit those documents. A printer with OCR facility can fix my job much more easily.

Re: Printer with OCR facility

I know one mode by Samsung. It is SCX 4521FS. It is a multi-functional printer that comes with advance ocr capabilities. It can help you to convert scanned images directly in editable text file format. It works really fine. The cost of this printer is around Rs.15,000.

That is a costly solution. A OCR feature can be only provided in a multi-functional printer. It is not available in regular one. Now HP has certain models that you can try out. The one which I know is Officejet Pro 3620. It is a multifunctional printer which comes loaded with fax,scanner and web print solution. IT allows you a direct scan to ocr solution through which you can have a full text of all scanned images. You can scan the pages in text or pdf format and you can get a working text file from it. You can modify the same as per your need. But sometime the OCR thing does not work so well. It can give you junk characters. Officejet Pro 3620 is quiet easy to use. You can configure the printer on lan network and simply use it as default device. The same settings also work for scanner. This printer might cost lies between Rs.10,000 to Rs.15,000. You can check the correct pricing on the web. The second way of getting the same kind of solution is by a OCR software which is available on web. Many are giving you the same for free.

OCR software is far more better I think. Because here you can save a bit money. Instead of buying a full size mfp printer get a decent scanner and just use a ocr software to capture text from a image file. Both are going to give you the same kind of solution.