Thread: Water spill on hard drive.What to do ?

Water spill on hard drive.What to do ?

I need urgent help here. I was cleaning my desktop. So disconnected everything and kept it aside. I had removed everything. The cpu, ram, motherboard, etc. There was a bit damage in cpu case. The back panel was broken due to which more dust enters the system. When I was moving the monitor a glass of water fell. The water felled on the hard drive while other things are safe. Should I turn it on.

Re: Water spill on hard drive.What to do ?

The drive is dead now. Do not turn it on. It is an electronic device and water has destroyed it. Keep it aside and get a new one. There is no chance to recover your data also. Try contacting some data recovery agency, they might help.

Place the drive aside and cross your fingers. You will need to keep it aside unless it is completely dried up. Use a hair drying. There is very less chance that it might work. My uncle has lost his drive in similar manner. Because of his dog, accidentally he spelled coffer on the laptop. The drive was completely fried up. He called me, for fixing it. I checked the drive was damaged. I cleaned it with alcohol first and then dried. After turning it on, the drive was not visible in bios. He had paid a really good amount to the recovery agency to get his data back. It is very important that you keep liquid things away from your pc.It is having sensitive components. Those are even damage due to moisture. In your cause the drive might work if the water is completely dried up and if it has not entered in the drive. Just keep it aside and do not touch until you are completely sure whether it is going to work or not. This thing is also not covered under warranty. Another major issue lies with data recovery. Because once it is dead the recovery people charge on the basis of data size. The more it is the more you havee to pay. So just keep the drive aside so that it can get dried up completely then try your luck.

I do not think that is going to work. Once water enter in the drive it can damage crucial components very easily. Try to dry it first and then there is something you can do. Or else data recover is the only option.

Carry the drive to the service center and see whether they can help. Pay them if required. But if you do not have any urgent data then you can try fixing it on your own hard. A hard drive has a circuit board below. It is a green color board. This is the most crucial part. Now many drive has screws on them. You can open them and you can clean the water below it. Other things are locked. It is completely sealed. Using sprays like WD-40 you can try to wipe out the moisture. Use a dryer here. That will be more helpful. Always remember that whenever there is a liquid spell on electronics never turn them on. You can damage them completely. Drying is the only option left. But removing moisture from it is another problem. Right-now there is nothing available that can help you to fix a hardware which is destroyed by water.