Thread: Is it possible to wipe out HDD password from Dell Laptop

Is it possible to wipe out HDD password from Dell Laptop

I am going to buy a second hand laptop from a shop. I am getting that a very reasonable rate. Now the only problem with the laptop is that it has a password inside. If it was a bios password then I can remove that, but the internal hdd is locked. I am unable to boot from it. I tried to check in bios but there is no option available to disable it or to wipe out the password. Can anyone help.

Re: Is it possible to wipe out HDD password from Dell Laptop

Ask the seller about that. If it is a stolen laptop then he might not have the password. Do not buy those stuff. It is not easy to break a hdd password. While for bios you can just remove the cmos battery and insert it back again.

Password lock hdd has a tiny chip on them. Which stores the password. It is not controlled by the motherboard bios. Due to which you cannot remove them easily. Especially for dell systems I had seen. You have to manually remove that controller. This is the only easiest way available and it is also risky. Because you can damage the product. Now there are many third party utilities available on the web which you can test out. Like HDDUnlock. This tool promote to remove the drive password. The second way of removing the password is carrying the laptop to the service center. But you said that you are purchasing it. So better ask the seller for a proper bill and details. If it is a stolen laptop then you can land into trouble. It is necessary that you must have proper bills and documents to carry it to a service center. They might charge you a small fee and will reset the password. The last thing left is to add a different hard drive. Which is another costly upgrade. Laptop hard drive are widely available on the web. If you are really willing to buy that thing, you can also add a new hard drive. This will surely work.

That is just a waste of money. Just tell the seller to give you a unlocked hard drive. Do not buy it locked. Changing hard drive is a costly option here. HDD password cannot be removed so easily.