Thread: What does HDD Smart failure means

What does HDD Smart failure means

From two drives in my system one showed Smart failure in the HDD test software. What does the error means. The drive looks to be working fine. I had also ran chkdsk which showed no error in the end. But still the testing software is giving me HDD Smart failure. Is this serious. How to repair it. There are no bad sectors according to me.

Re: What does HDD Smart failure means

Smart is a internal feature that predict drive failure before it happens. So that you can take backup of your important data. Smart Failure mostly appear due to bad sectors. Try to run chkdsk once again and keep a copy of your data.

Re: What does HDD Smart failure means

You cannot repair smart errors. Smart is a drive feature which test out different things in the drive and let you whether it is healthy or not. To confirm whether your drive is having any serious issue or not you can run a set of more testing software's. You can find them easily on the web. Just run and then see what errors you are getting. Smart test offer you a error description in the end through which you can find out the actual cause of failure. Smart failure simply means that the drive might fail in future. So you must start taking proper backup and other stuff. Updating the drive firmware can also help you to get rid of this issue. Which you can find out on the web. HDD inspector is one great tool which has ample of great features that you can go for. Now no testing software can give you feature to repair the drive. They can only predict the problem. They cannot fix it. Now if the drive is under warranty then you have a chance to get a replacement. But if not then you will need to buy a new one. So simply try some other tools to confirm the problem.