Thread: Failed Hard drive shown healthy in Disk Management

Failed Hard drive shown healthy in Disk Management

There is weird thing happening in my system. I am having two hard drives in my system. One is 500GB Seagate drive and the other one is old 80GB IDE drive. The old one is used for keeping movies only. Now I tried to copy some videos that I got from my friend via pen drive in that drive, but showed me corrupt partition. It is a single 80GB partition. The same drive is shown as healthy in Disk Management.

Re: Failed Hard drive shown healthy in Disk Management

Looks like some kind of issue with Disk Management. Now you have data in that. If you do not want it then I will recommend you to format it. It will be usable back again.

There are some advance tools available that give you clear information on the drive. You can test the hard drive with it. Tools like Seagate Seatools are available for free. Just download and run the same in your system. Somehow if there is a problem with the hard drive you can get a log report on the end. The tool has a set of different scanning options. The tool runs a full diagnostic test giving out information on various issues.And if any error is detected then your drive might stop working soon. You can try checking the cables also. Loose connection can be reason for the cause. You said that the drive is already old so you cannot expect much here. If the drive is working then you might be able to pull your data back. But if not then you will need to leave it aside. SeaGate Seatools also comes in bootable format where you can scan all your drives through a disc. This is more effective. Formatting can help you to re-use the partition. But that will be for sometime only. If the amount of bad sectors keep on rising in your drive, it will get completely dead soon.

Run chkdsk. This command will help you to locate with the drive. All you will need is to provide the drive path in cmd and run the command. It will check the drive for bad sectors and will give you information on it. If there are bad sectors then the drive is damaged.

Diagnostic tool will only give you information. They will not tell how you to troubleshoot your system. Ample of time due to various issue the drives stop working. And you are lucky that this issue occur in your old hard drive. In my case I lost my 500GB hard drive with data. Fortunately it was under warranty so I got the replacement. But I was not able to recover my data under any condition. This is really surprising that how suddenly a 2month old hard drive failed. I ran those tools and they show me some errors. But I thought they are not so risky. Sometime due to internal components damage this kind of issue appear which are not repairable. So it is not worth to test or check the same. It is necessary that you must use some recovery tool first that can pull data from a damage disc. Which might help.