Thread: External USB DVD drive failed to detected on front side usb port

External USB DVD drive failed to detected on front side usb port

A usb optical drive sometime works on my system and it won't. I am not able to figure out the cause. It is a new drive from Samsung. I borrowed it from my friend because my internal optical drive is not working. I want to burn some disc and re-install windows. My system is extremely slow due to virus. But when I connect it on the front usb ports it comes for sometime in My Computer and then it disappears. Can anyone help me here.

Re: External USB DVD drive failed to detected on front side usb port

Ample of external drives comes with two usb ports. Among which one is for power and other one is for data. So you have to connect both of them and then check back. You can try to find the drivers and install it in your system.

The issue lies with usb headers. I had seen that issue before. My friend called me for the same problem last week. Be purchased a portable external optical drive. When he connect it to the front side it comes in My Computer but instantly within seconds it goes back. That is due to low power. The usb ports on the front side are not able to give the optical drive proper power due to which it is not visible. To fix it you will need to use it on the backside. Connect the optical drive directly to the motherboard and then test back. It will work fine. When you are formatting your pc do not connect it on the front. If it losses connection then your setup will be incomplete. While on the backside where you have usb ports which are direct connected to the motherboard offers you more stability in connection. Also burning speed compare to front is faster on the backside. It is a common bug. The issue does not lies with the optical drive, it with the front usb ports. Try checking it on the backside and let me know.

Thanks for the reply. This worked. But I am having only 4 ports on the backside. Among which two are occupied by the mouse/keyboard and other two are by speaker and printer. It is very uncomfortable to connect the optical drive manually. Is there any way to fix the front port or will it work on usb hub.

I do not think so. It will work on a regular usb hub. You will have to find the one that comes with power adapter. On that you can use the external optical drive. Because the hub itself runs on low power. The second thing you can do is change the internal usb headers that might do the job. There are more usb connectors are available on the motherboard. For that you will need to open your case. Turn off your system properly and then only open it. Now in that search for connectors which are marked as usb. They are mostly 5 pin connector. But they are marked as usb. Remove the existing connection and connect it on any other. Then connect the optical drive on the front side and test it out. This might work. If still the optical drives does not appears properly in My Computer then you will need to use it on the backside. While you can connect the printer and speaker on the usb hub.