Thread: keyboard not working with WIndows 8.1 preview

keyboard not working with WIndows 8.1 preview

I am having a self assembled desktop since past 6 months and it was running with Windows 8 so far until yesterday when i upgraded the same to Windows 8.1 preview. Update process went fine without any problem but here is the problem, my input peripherals like Keyboard and Mouse stopped working at all.

So far i have tried everything but nothing seems to be working. Surprisingly the lights glow up on the keyword but none of the keys work. The same thing is with Mouse, no clicks work but the laser light is on. I have tried connecting them in all ports but yet the same result. Something please help. I have no idea what and were is wrong.

Re: keyboard not working with WIndows 8.1 preview

This could be due to incompatible drivers. Yeah, there is possibility for the same. You need to download the keyboard and mouse drivers and install them on your system.

By the way can you tell me what is the make/model of keyboard and mouse?

I doubt if that is the driver problem because I have tried two keyboards and mice including Logitech wireless keyboard and an iBall wired keyboard. Similarly the mice is Razor wired and one wireless Microsoft mouse. None of them work. Luckily I borrowed an Apple keyboard from one of my friend and that seems to be working, I don’t know how. But as you guys suggested I will still give a try installing the drivers for my keyboards when I reach home tonight.

Thank you.

Not compulsory if both wireless and wired mouse are not working, it cannot be driver’s fault because both kind of peripherals required drivers. So before going for any other hardcore troubleshooting you should try out installing the drivers, and better install them in compatibility mode. You can do this by right clicking the downloaded drivers setup file and choose properties. Go to compatibility Tab and select windows 8 under “Run this program in compatibility” option.

After installation restart the computer once to effect the changes and see if it makes any difference. Let us know the results.

Thank you very much for the help Depp123 but as I said, still it wont work. I downloaded the drivers from the keyboard/mice manufacturer’s websites, installed in compatibility as you said but yet the same problem. Any other helps please?

Did you ran the windows updates after upgrading to 8.1. If not, do it. Hopefully you may get the drivers for your peripherals. As you have got the start button back to the system, right click the same and select system. Now on the right side of the display you will see an option called “Advanced System Settings”, click the same, now go to Hardware tab and click click Device Installation Settings. Change the settings and set it to “Yes, do this automatically (recommended)”.

Click OK and restart. Make sure Windows updates is turned on. System will search for any missing driver and will install it for your keyboard and mouse.