Thread: Seagate Central Shared Storage 4TB heats up really fast

Seagate Central Shared Storage 4TB heats up really fast

I am using Seagate Central Shared Storage 4TB external hard drive. I bought this to make it an backup solution. I saw a video review of this drive that shows it is really effective. The usage is really simple. But there is a bit issue with this hard drive. It heats up really fast. I just want to confirm that the problem lies with the drive or there can be something I can do to make it cooler.

SeaGate Central 4TB Shared Storage Video Review

Re: Seagate Central Shared Storage 4TB heats up really fast

Seagate Central Shared Storage 4TB comes with a external hard drive. The drive that we use in our computers. It is the regular drive. Now when you hook it on lan and at a time multiple pc are using it, then it will surely heatup. Just turn it off when you are not using.

I saw the drive. I think there are ample of things missing in it. First of all there is no on/off button. I had connected it to my switch and shared it on the network. It looks Seagate has just added a external drive in inside a enclosure that's all. There is no utility through which you can configure the drive as per your need. Whatever you have to do is based on Windows lan settings. Heat is a very common issue with pc components. It gets more heatup when you are using it extensively. There is nothing we can do to stop it. What you can do is keep it in a cooler space. Near a AC. The enclosure that comes with the drive has no separate fan or any kind of heat management technology. Adding fan on the drive enclosure is the only option left. Extreme heat is really dangerous for the hard drive. It is quiet valid to use until it is under warranty. But there are chances of data loss. The best thing you can do here is buy a separate enclosure with added air ventilation and use them for backup. That would keep the drive more cooler. Or you can set a process that will work on the basis on time interval. So the drive gets enough time to cool down.

There is no risk until the drive is making noise. Heating to certain level is common. But it is making noise then there are chances of serious damage. You will have to backup data at some other place.

Ample of drives comes loaded with some features that shut them down when they cross certain temperature. The same feature also comes in many boards. But if it is heating beyond limit then better get it replaced. As mentioned above the hard drive usually gets heating up much when you are using it constantly. Which commonly happens on a desktop pc. I build a external hard drive through separate enclosure which I purchased from eBay. It is a big size enclosure with no fan on it. I use it around 2 to 3 hrs a day to backup my data. I remain connected all the time on network. There is an automated backup utility which simply moves data in the drive from source location on set time. That also gives the hard drive gap to cool down when it is not used. I think compare this portable hard drives are far more better. They might be low on the transfer speed but they are capable of giving you optimum performance under all circumstances.