Thread: Seagate 3TB drive shows only 746 GB of space

Seagate 3TB drive shows only 746 GB of space

I have got a Seagate 3TB Hard drive and using it in the Sata Channel 2 as a slave drive. I am running this setup on a Windows Vista operating system with service pack 2 installed. The problem that I am facing with this drive is that it is only showing 1 partition with 746GB space. I have tried many things to get the drive space like from GPT and MBR fix but neither works for me. Can anyone please help me out getting the remaining space from this hard drive? Thanks.

Re: Seagate 3TB drive shows only 746 GB of space

I think that it is an issue with the Sata/AHCI driver in your system which might be caused by an AMD CPU, incase you have it. So, you will need to update the same driver or use the AMD Raiddriver and Raidxpert. I am assuming that your Sata/AHCI driver was not updated and hence you are facing issue of low space with your Seagate hard drive. You will need to use the msahci.sys file. Check here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...windows.aspx#3

If you dont how to update or manualy install the msahci.sys file to your Sata AHCI controller that is acutally listed under device manage or IDE ATA or ATAPI controllers, then I better suggest that you take help from some expert techy guy around you. Check on this link for information - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974073

Either your motherboard chipset could be based on Nvidia or AMD, but if it is nvidia then the amd ahci driver will not work at all. You will need to install the latest driver from nvidia website only. Or you will have to get the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller from microsoft website. After choosing this, you will be able to get the full storage of your hard drive. But remember to initialize or convert the drive to GPT disk.