Thread: Overvolted Seagate hard drive

Overvolted Seagate hard drive

Somehow accidently I overvolated Seagate hard drive. Which is not working now. I had purchased a 500GB seagate drive with enclosure. The complete kit came with power cable also. Accidentally I used my laptop 19v power cable on the enclosure. I failed to check and due to which my drive is overvolted and looks to be not working fine.

Re: Overvolted Seagate hard drive

You had caused hardware damage in the drive. The internal components are burned due to which the drive will not work. It is essential that you must carry the same to a service center. They will charge you for the damage and might fix the drive.

It is common that if you use a higher voltage power source on the lower one then surely there can be serious issue with the device. There is no way to restore that. Now you can do is simply remove the pcb here. You can see the real damage on that. If there are burned marks on the same then you will need to replace the damage components. It is not easy to find them easily in a local shop. Some components are only visible at the service center. If you can find the pcb which connects the ports controller and driver then there are chances of getting your drive back on work. Or else it is a dead drive know. Also this kind of burned stuff are not counted under warranty. You had caused the damage from your own hand. I had gone through the same issue before on a mobile device. I accidentally used a wrong charger which damaged the internal battery. I tried number of stuff to fix it but nothing worked out. Also the power jack at the bottom of mobile phone failed to work. It was also damaged. I showed that to a repair shop who replaced the power jack and the issue was resolved. There was no issue at all.

You might to replace the tiny particles on the pcb. They are small chip and connectors which can be repaired by some chip level guy only. The best thing you can do is carry the drive to a service center.

That is correct. I am trying to fix my board in the same manner. I was overclocking the board fsb due to which a tiny particle on the board catches fire. Due to which the entire board is dead. It is not repairable. Luckily my friend who is a chip level rearing engineer helped me. He somehow arranged a similar board which was also dead but some parts from the same were working. He removed a small transistor from that board and attached on mine and it worked. You need a really expert guy for that. Or else you can face more damage. Try to find some chip level repairing engineer who can help you in fixing the issue. There is surely a way available through which such problem can be resolved. But it is essential that you must get the exact matching components. Or else you cannot do anything on it.