Thread: Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB drives not recognized in Windows XP

Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB drives not recognized in Windows XP

I am trying to add a new hard drive on my Windows XP desktop. It is a 4TB hard disk. It is a new one from Seagate. The model is ST4000DM000. Now there is a weird problem with the same. When I had connected it my system it looks proper but I cannot find that in Disk Management. I had tried to check the cable which is connected properly. Now this is a new hard drive so there are chances that the hard disk is not damaged at all. What should I do.

Re: Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB drives not recognized in Windows XP

Did you checked the same in bios. You must go in bios and see first the drive is listed or not. Then only you can move ahead to troubleshoot the issue in Windows. Even when you boot the drive is showed on the boot screen. Just go in bios and see what you can find there.

That can be limitation of the motherboard. You might be not aware but ample of motherboards in the market does not read drive above 2TB. Can you provide the motherboard model which you are using rightnow. And also it can be limitation of Windows XP. I had gone through a series of threads which are based on the same kind of issue. Somehow this is associated with the limitation of Disk Controller. The internal disk controller might be locked at 2GB or even lower. Due to which you cannot see it. You fix that the first thing you have to do is to update your bios. Bios update will make your system perform more better. There are ample of new editions available through which your storage can be improved. But the process is crucial here. You must follow a proper guide, because if it is not performed properly then your system will fail to boot. So just go on the official website of your motherboard manufacturer and download the recent bios update utility. Run the setup and then test back. It will surely fix the hard drive storage limitation.

What is the disk format. Basically new drives comes with raw file partition, but still you can check that in bios. I think NTFS drives work well with high storage solution. Go in bios first and check what you can find there. Post complete info here.

Windows XP is not capable of reading hard drive over 2TB. Even if the drive is listed in your bios with full size then also you cannot use it on XP. You will have to upgrade your operating system. It is one of the most common bug with older Windows version. There nothing you can do. I do not even think Microsoft has provided any specific update for the same. But on Linux it is possible to use the same. There are some different partition formats available which can help you to use the complete space. This is a limit of mbr. There is nothing you can do except upgrading to your OS to a much newer version. There is one possible option available. There are some raid controller cards available in the market. You have to connect them on the pci slot of your motherboard. This raid cards help you to install higher number of drive on your system. Windows uses them on the basis of drive controller driver. So that is why they are able to read high storage drives. That is the only way can help you. Get a good raid card and hook that on your system.