Thread: Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive is not spinning

Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive is not spinning

I have got a Seagate Barracuda 2TB hard drive and have some important data that I dont want to lose from this drive. This drive was used as a secondry and it is still in warranty period. Just couple of days back, it stopped working and after checking it I noticed that the drive was not spinning at all. Also it was getting overheated very quickly. So, I was thinking if I will get the same drive repaired or not because there are so many important data on it and therefore obviously I dont want to go for a replacement. Any ideas?

Re: Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive is not spinning

I am guessing that since you are not getting any buzzing noise so your hard drive's failure would be most likele a PCB problem which is why your drive is not spinning. So, to solve this issue, you will have to get a repalcement PCB which will get your drive working again but for that you need to tranfer some 8-pin flash memory chip for the replacement of the PCB, since this IC stores the specific information of the drive.

It could be a problem with the Master Boot Record (MBR) that may have got corrupted of your hard drive. So follow the link here on how to fix the mbr - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ns_fixmbr.mspx. Or if that isnt the case and the issue is with the PCB, then you can simply replace it by various repair shops like hdd-parts.com or some other. But note to tell them that you want to transfer data from your old PCB to the new one since that unique data is needed for the drive to work.

You can try to remove the PCB or get somebody who is expert in this field to remove it and then power it up on its own. After that when you touch it and you still feel that it is getting too much hot then it is definitely faulty. So, what you can do is, try to salvage the drive with a PCB swap and firmware transfer and then get free service with some PCB suppliers who offer it.