Thread: Seagate ST2000DM001 drive freezes

Seagate ST2000DM001 drive freezes

My system is freezing a lot while playing games. Also the same issue started appear in watching videos. I am really stuck with this process here and not able to understand the problem. Can anyone help me here to fix the issue. I think the problem lies with the hard drive. It is Seagate ST2000DM001 6gbps 2TB hard drive. I had copied a lots of data on it. I am having two drives on my system. I am using Windows 7.

Re: Seagate ST2000DM001 drive freezes

How you came to know that your drive is causing the issue. There can be issue with the operating system also. You can try re-installing it or just update the drivers. I think that would fix the job.

As as I said above I am having 2 drives in my system. Among which one is 500GB Samsung hard drive. And the second one which is 2TB I had bought recently. Now first I was using the old one for all gaming and data purpose. I am having a huge collection of dvd movies. When I purchased the new drive I moved the data to the 2TB drive. The copy process was slow here. I use Teracopy tool. It gave me constant output while transferring the file. But somehow I find that the drive is getting slower and slower whenever I try to move larger files. Then I installed Far Cry 3 on my system. The default setup location for set to the secondary drive. The same game was first installed on the primary 500GB hard disk where it worked fine. There was no lagging issue at all. After when I installed it on the second 1TB drive the game started lagging. The same issue occur with movies also. I have some HD Blu ray videos which are 2GB video files. I am not able to skip a part here. When I try to do that media player crashes. That is why I concluded the issue might with the hard drive itself.

Can be due to bad sectors or improper cable. First change the cable and connectivity ports. That might help you in getting some more better output. If that does not work then you have to run chkdsk in cmd. This will give you information on bad sectors.

There are some nice hard drive testing tools available in the market. Like SeaTools for Seagate hard drive. This is a complete testing tool that can give you clear information on the hard drive health status. You can download this from the official site .Now it happens ample of time that there are defective drives sold. This is a manufacturing defect. While other case can be due to bad sectors. Bad sectors only generate over time .They are not present in new hard drive. But still certain conditions like power outage can increase the amount of bad sectors in the drive which result in slow performance. It is really essential that you must first test out the hard drive health. Seatools has ample of options to guide you about the existing status. If your drive is under warranty then you can simply ask for replacement. Or else you can change the cable as mentioned above. Now sometime by upgrading the drive firmware will also do the job. It can help you to improve your drive performance to great extent.

Run disk defragmentation. You can run that in Windows 7. It is a internal utility. But there are more advance tools available which can help you to improve your drive performance. Like Smart Defrag. You can download it and test it on your drive.

Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB is a 6gbps hard drive. When you move a large amount of data from one drive to another it is essential that you must connect the drive on 6gbps sata interface. Now on motherboard there are different start ports available. The most common among them is a 3gbps port. You can just check your motherboard manual to find a 6gbps sata port and you can hook the hard drive on it. The transfer rate will be greatly improved. Second thing you have to check is the power connection of hard drive. Ensure that it is properly connected or replace any existing power connector. The drive which you are using is a 7200rpm drive. That is good for performance output. So the issue in your case might be due to 3gbps sata port only. I am having a 5200rpm hard drive that is more slower but still I get a reasonable file transfer rate. Try to copy limited chunks of file at a time. Do not just copy 80GB or 100GB. Go in chucks of 2 to 4GB. That would put less pressure on your hard drives.

One thing you guys are missing. The user is trying to copy files from his old 500GB hard drive to the new 2TB drive. So if the old one if is a 5200 rpm or lower drive, then the transfer rate will be obviously low. To get good speed there must be identical hardware on both side.