Thread: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 drive dead

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 drive dead

Suddenly my hard drive stopped working. It is a 2TB hard drive purchased a year ago. I am having all my data in it. It was going well until last night. My friend bought a game dvd which I was trying to install in the hard drive. Due to power issue the system restarted. For sometime electricity was affected at my house. But later on when everything went back to normal, I turned on my pc and there is a disk boot failure error. I restarted that several times but still it is not working. Can anyone here help me to fix the issue. Thanks.

Re: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 drive dead

Looks like serious hardware issue with your hard drive. Just to verify turn off your pc completely. Then open the cpu case and check the cable connection. Try to change the sata connectivity port and if possible change the cable also and test back. I think that would be helpful.

What you seen in the bios. When you boot your system you can see some messages on the screen about total ram and hard drive. Did the hard disk is visible at the boot screen. If not then just hit delete or f10 or whatever key based on your board, to enter bios. Go in the first section to checkout the hard drive. If it is listed then the issue lies with Windows. You will have to re-install Windows. To backup your data you can use LiveCD. There are ample of them. Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. You can boot through that and copy your data first. Later on you can run the Windows Setup back again from scratch to restore your system. This thing is only going to work if the hard drive is detected in bios. If not then it will not work. You have to confirm first that the hard drive is connected and simply detected in your system. It will be simply waste of time to directly install windows without verifying the connectivity. I lost my hard drive in the same way long time ago. It was detected in bios but I was not able to install windows on it.

You can use it as a secondary hard drive for data only. I lost my new 500GB hard drive due to power failure. WD took almost a month to send me the new replacement. That thing does not matter. What matter's is the data.

If the drive is dead then there is no way you can recover data from it. There are some special data recovery services available on web which offers you backup but at a very costly price. It is essential that your drive must be working. Windows can be restored easily. That is a later part. In my case I lost my 500GB hard drive in the same way. There was power issue and the system was just turned off instantly. It is better if I had also purchased a ups along with my existing system. I tried many thing to make the drive work and recover my data from it. But everything failed. The last thing I did is send it to the service center for replacement. The only chance lies here is to use the drive as some kind of secondary hard drive. If it is detected then there are chances or recovery data. Just update here what you are able to see in bios. Is the drive listed or not. If not then the drive is completely dead .

Try some data recovery tools. That might help you. Connect the drive to some working pc and run the data recovery software. I think that will help you more in fixing the issue. If the drive is active those data recovery can pull the data.

There is another way of doing this. You can try out some bootable data recovery software. I can list you some of them which might be more helpful here. The first one I will recommend you is WinPE. You can download this from web and burn a DVD out of it. It is a nice bootable disc with Windows Environment offering you a clean way of recovering data. It is essential that your hard drive must be working or else it is useless. This can be use to recover data from your system when it is unable to boot. Another simple way here is using a bootable Linux cd. Some of the most popular here is Ubuntu and other is Linux Mint. For you I will recommend you to use Linux Mint which is really easy. You get a desktop environment where you can go in your hard drive and copy paste the data in a usb drive. Just try it out. If it works then you will be able to access your data.

It is really necessary that one should always keep his data backup ready. Because there is no guarantee when the system will go down. That is the reason I always keep my Google Drive synced with important files. Atleast I get everything online whenever needed.