Thread: Improper memory read on ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Improper memory read on ASRock Z77 Extreme4

I bought a new Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. I ordered that from an online shopping site.The board came packed. Along with that I also purchased 3 RAM sticks of 2GB each. I am here trying add 6GB of ram on the system but the board is not reading everything here. It is just not showing up the complete ram when I boot my system. I am not able to find where the problem lies Is it with the motherboard or with the ram sticks. Can anyone help me here to fix the issue.

Re: Improper memory read on ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Try to test your system one by one with single ram. This board has 4 RAM slots. And it is a extreme performance board. So there must be not issue with multiple ram stick. Now check all the slots are working fine or not just insert the ram one by one in each slot and boot your pc. Do this will all memory sticks.

This kind of problems are rare in new motherboard. Connect all the ram and enter into bios. See what total memory configuration you are getting in it. Is it around 6GB or simply less than that. If it is 6GB then the board is fine. You have to install a 64bit operating system on your pc to get the full ram work. If you go with 32bit operating system then the ram will lie below 4GB. That is the limitation of a 32GB system. So it simply recommended first to check in the bios whether everything is fine or not. If not then you have to simply carry the board to the service center. Shopping sites are just vendors. They sell the website. But you can get the same fixed from service center. There can be issue with the slots. Some of them might be damaged. This has happened in my system on a old motherboard. The problem lie with the slot itself. I was having 2 ram sticks here which worked well one by one inserting them on separate slots.

The ram sticks can also be faulty. IT is a bit time consuming process to find out the problem. So the only process left here is to check manually one by one. You have to insert the ram at one place first and check in bios. If it is detected with complete 2GB site then it is fine. Do this for all sticks and then see what output you are getting.

There is another process available to locate a defective ram. But for that it is important that all your motherboard slots must work fine. If any of those have a problem then the test will just show you error with ram. Download memtest from internet. It is a bootable memory test tool. Burn the same on a CD/DVD. Boot your system with that and run a full memory scan. The process will take some time. And if you see errors on the screen then the ram is defective. You have to ask for replacement. You can carry it to the service center also. It happens a number of time damage products are released in the market due to which you get this kind of problems. It is quiet important that you must first verify the same from your end. If everything looks to be ok then you can go to the repair center. Bios update can help you here, but for a new board I will not recommend the process. It is simply a waste of time.

Are you getting any other error on your screen. There are some specific errors which are associated with memory failure. Those can help to finalize where the problem lies. One of the most common error is blue screen. That appear commonly on your screen when the ram is faulty.

You can give a chance here by running a bios update. It is not a complicated procedure. Boards like Asus Z77 Extreme4 comes with an automated utility of updating bios. So just try that and test back. It is quiet important that whatever ram you install in your system must be detected in the bios. Or else it might not work well. The problem will still remain constant. As per the specification the board is capable of supporting memory upto 32GB. So for 6GB ram it must not give you problem. The issue might lies with the ram stick. Do you have any other system which has DDR3 ram support slot. If yes then you can try checking the same on that and see what type of output you are getting.