Thread: Which 3.5inch hard drive will be good for a professional work

Which 3.5inch hard drive will be good for a professional work

I am looking for a good 3.5inch hard drive that I can use for my office. I had changed around 4 models recently where I was not getting a great output. I am a bit stucked here. I am looking for a good hard drive by which I can constantly run regular backups. I am having a great hardware config even after which I am not getting a good transfer speed. I had gone through rpm config also but almost all of them are giving out a common type of support. I think that will be enough to fix the issue.

Re: Which 3.5inch hard drive will be good for a professional work

If you are looking for a hard drive then just search for some that has Automatic Acoustic Management, or MAA. This are rare features which is not provided in all drives. But it allows to adjust the speed head that read the data. It simply increases when needed and is also less noisy.

I found some good series under Western Digital. I will recommend you to checkout the series provided there. One of the most important parameter that I think which will increase the drive performance is APM Advanced Power Management. Here the heads saves some energy. They are parked when not in use and it is one of the best features recommended for performance drives. Also the heads which are not used add little latency to them when it used. This increase the drive reliability to great extent. If the heads are keep on using the same the head gets damage and gets teared down. The two drive that I found which has this feature is Seagate Barracuda 7200 & Toshiba DT01 series. Just check out the same and then test back. For those you are looking for a great features in terms of long life and good performance then must go for the hard drives that offers you Advanced Power Management. While other features are just flashy updates. They does not really give a great output. With reasonable power management the drive life is also extended to some extent.

I trust on WD here. I found it really awesome in terms of performance. There are series available in WD under Green, Blue and Black series and all of them are different depending on the requirement. Just go through the series of hard drive and check back.

You guys are missing another important feature that is quiet required for raid devices. This feature allows you to test Disk performance and the wear/tear. It is called as SMART. The better it is the more appropriate your drive will work. AT the time of usage the drive works hard. For raid support WD has some Green series hard drive that works well. So is necessary to find a disc which is compatible with SMART Command so that you can keep a track on your drive performance and other stuff. Smart offers you a view before your hard drive going to crash. So better go with the same and then test back. While if you search for hard drive which has ample of good performance then you can simply go with many hard drive models available on the web.

If you are going for some backup purpose then it is essential that you must go for atleast 2TB storage. It is necessary. If you go for lower and the drive features are also limited then there are ample of problems you will face. Checkout Toshiba 3TB drive.

I will recommend you to look some models under Seagate. It is one of largest hard drive manufacturer which is having a huge share in the market. While WD can be a bit costly here with greater output. But what matters is the driver longevity. I had seen a 3TB disk model here which offers you enough space and good performance also. It belongs to Barracuda 7200 series. There are some 1TB models also that offers you maximum 7200 rpm speed with 64 MB cache. So that is good for servers actually. Where you need a drive that has more endurance. Ample of drive specs says a 300,000 cycles of loading / unloading heads that gives it a really long life. In servers the drives works for 24x7 where it is essential that you must find something that can work for more longer time without getting damaged. It is also necessary to check the warranty policy here.