Thread: Not able to format memory card

Not able to format memory card

I have 8gb sandisk memory card, I had inserted it in to a card reader and had connected it to my laptop via usb. While transferring some files to it, my little cousin disconnected it from the laptop. Since then whenever I am connecting it again, it gets recognized and I get a pop up for formatting the card. As I don’t have any crucial data in it, I have tried formatting the card but then I get another error message saying “unable to format” what might be wrong any idea?

Re: Not able to format memory card

I think your card has got corrupted and you will have to get a new one. I have seen many such cases where usb drives and micro sd cards had got corrupted after getting disconnected during file transfer. I don’t think there is any workaround that might help you in getting the card working again.
    Break it-So we can Fix It

There are several reasons that might corrupt a memory card. Some of the common ones are as followed:
    Virus – It gets corrupted if you have any malicious file in it. It is one of the most common reasons I’ve heard of, one can get rid of it by scanning and removing the malicious file or by simply formatting the card.
    Disconnecting card while read/write process is in progress - Just like your case, if you are not able to format the card after that then there’s no way if getting it working.

Which format you are trying to use?? Have you tried formatting it form Dos prompt? If not, than try that out as well and check out if you are getting any luck with that. As your card is getting recognized you can try deleting and creating logical drive of your card. In order to do that go to my computer > manage > disk management > select your memory card > Right click on it and select “Delete logical drive”. Make sure that you are creating logical drive after deleting it.

Since you are not able to format it using windows format option, I will suggest you to use some third- party application. There are many third-party applications which might help you to format the card and get it working. “SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards Format Software
    (SD Formatter 3.1)” is the one I am aware of, I have it quite a few times but I did not had luck all the time. I think using it will be lost hope of getting the card working, if not than get a new one and be careful next time, that’s all I can say.
    This is a figment of your imagination.

I have tried formatting my card using NTFS, FAT, FAT32 and via Dos prompt without any luck. I have tried deleting and creating logical drive of it but after that when I disconnect it and connect it, same thing starts again. I will try using SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards Format Software
    (SD Formatter 3.1) and will post back if it helps me in getting the card working.

I had the same kind of problem with a 2 gb SD card when using a 20.00 card reader and my camera but when i use a cheapy sd card reader from the dollar store it would in fact and i am not lying let me access everything and even format it

hope i Helped