Thread: Why is it recommended to use matched pair of RAM's?

Why is it recommended to use matched pair of RAM's?

Ive always heard people recommending to use matched pair of RAM's rather than different ones, I have been doing the same without knowing the actual reason behind it but I want to know it now. So is there anyone who can explain me the reason behind it in simple terms???

Re: Why is it recommended to use matched pair of RAM's?

As far as I am aware matched pairs of ram provides better speed and performance. Even though the optimal speed of matched pairs might not be noticeable but if one really want to know about it, than he can use sub-microsecond stop watch to measure load times or read/writes. If you use unmatched pair of RAM's and carry out task like reading/writing or use heavy programs like video rendering than you won’t get speed as compared to what you will get with matched pair of rams.
    If I post, it's because I have something to say, not just to up my board count.

One of the main reasons of using matched pair of RAM's according to me is to avoid RAM incompatibility. RAM incompatibility is the source of potential problems, I have come across many cases where unmatched pair of ram’s doesn’t work well together, people willing to use them have found to be running in various issues as well. I don’t see any point in using unmatched pair of rams rather than matched. I would have thought of using unmatched pair’s if it promises to offer better seed and performance compared to match pair’s.

See you can use different brands of ram and I don’t think there will be any issue until below condition’s are true:
    They have same capacity (256MB or 515MB...)
    They have same speed (PC2700, PC3200...)
    They have same number of chips on the stick and they both must be either single or double sided.