Thread: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 gb freezing intermittently after installing windows 7

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 gb freezing intermittently after installing windows 7

I have installed SSD 120 gb in my system and have installed windows 7 on the same. Things were working fine since then but nowadays my system is getting frozen frequently. I am not encountering bluescreen or facing any errors but it is just that my system gets freeze badly and I have to force it to shutdown to get it working again. I am not able to make out the cause of the freezing, I have asked about the same to some of my friends some have mentioned that there might be something wrong with the ssd where as some are simply suggesting to reinstall windows. Just wanted to know if there is some other solution that that?

Re: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 gb freezing intermittently after installing windows 7

I wanted to know if you have installed any third party application recently? If yes then try uninstalling them as see if you are able to get rid of freezing. There are possibilities that some corrupt application might be causing your system to freeze. If you want then you can try system restore as you have mentioned that things were working fine before. You can try restoring your system to a point when there was no freezing issue.

Re: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 gb freezing intermittently after installing windows 7

You can very well try doing a system restore but before that just make sure that you have done below things so as to prevent freezing.
    • Set AHCI in CMOS setup
    • Try disabling superfatch
    • Try disabling disk defragment

If these things don’t make any difference in your case then you can try restoring your windows.

Yes I have installed some applications after installing windows but I don’t think there might be any issue because of them. After your suggestion I have made sure that AHCI is set in CMOS setup, superfatch is disabled, disk defragment is disabled but these things are not making any difference and my system is still freezing frequently.

Will try out “system restore” and will post back if I get any help from that.

Have you tried updating firmware of your ssd? And updating your board bios? If not then you can try that out as well. I have come across some people who have mentioned that they were facing freezing issue but updating the firmware of the ssd had helped them out. So give those things a try, if you dint get any help from that then you can try enabling HIPM and DIPM for your SSD. If your SSD support HIPM and DIPM and is having SATA connection with AHCI mode enabled in BIOS then you can set HIPM or HIPM+DIPM under "AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive" in power option.

If you don’t have support for HIPM and DIPM then you can download “Add_AHCI_Link_Power_Management_HIPM-DIPM.reg” from here. You just have to download this file and save it to desktop. After that right click on .reg file, click on Merge, when you get a prompt then click on run and click on ok. Once it gets added you will see AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM in power options and set HIPM and DIPM settings accordingly.

I have gone through the same issue previously and I don’t know whether I was unlucky or there is seriously something wrong with this drive. I my case I was encountering blue screen and freezing, I had tried out all the possible solution that I could have, including all the ones that has been mentioned here but they were no good. I had thought of getting a replacement or refund for it but now I have started using my drive as secondary one and it is working quite well now.

If systems restore or reinstalling windows is helping you out then well and good but if nit then better get your drive replaced or use it as secondary. I don’t think that the other solutions mentioned here will make any effects.