Thread: Unable to install windows 7 on Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB

Unable to install windows 7 on Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB

I am having been trying to install windows 7 on Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB but I don’t know why it is not getting recognized after installing windows on it. If I format the drive and use it like that then I can see recognized in windows but as soon as I install windows 7 and do a reboot it doesn’t gets recognized anymore. I don’t know if this is an issue with my new Sandisk Extreme SSD or there is something wrong with my system. I think that there is something wrong with SSD but I am not sure about the same. Has anyone faced such a weird issue or has any idea regarding it? I am not able to make out what to try out further rather taking back the ssd to the store from where I have bought it and ask them to install windows 7 and test it.

Re: Unable to install windows 7 on Sandisk Extreme SSD 120GB

You can keep that as your last option, until then I will suggest you to backup of your ssd and format it. After formatting it connect it to your system, since you have mentioned it gets recognized when it is not having windows 7 installed on it you can try updating its firmware. Just make sure that you are updating its firmware to the latest available and install windows 7 on it later and see if it is working fine or not.

I have tried following your suggestion and have updated the firmware and have made a clean installation of windows 7 on it. Unfortunately I am still unlucky, I mean it is still not getting recognized. I don’t think updating firmware of the ssd was of any help. I have tried using it on other working machine and I am getting same response form it there as well. I have tried disconnecting all other hard drives and have made it main drive but no luck yet. Can there be any incompatibility issue between the windows and 7? It may be a stupid question but these are the things running in my mind now because of the weird issue I am facing. What do you think might be causing this issue? Any guess?

No I haven’t heard of hard disk being incompatible with windows and all, either there is something wrong with the ssd or there is something wrong going on with your system. I wanted to know if you have tried updating bios of your system. If not then try that out and see if you are getting any luck with that. I am not sure if it will make any difference in this case but you can surely give that a try in such situation. Make sure that you are updating to the latest bios available, you can get it from the official site of your motherboard manufacturer, best of luck.

So now I have tried updating the bios of the board to the latest and still no luck. I don’t think there is anything wrong in my system as I have already mentioned that I have tested it out in other working system and have got the same response.

I will better get it checked tomorrow as I am really fed up of trying out solution to get it work.

If you want then you can try out using Diskpart before getting it checked, you have to use Diskpart.exe utility for cleaning the hard disk. Make sure that you are backing up your drive before running the Diskpart.exe utility as your data in drive will get erased. For using Diskpart utility you can refer to the below steps:
    • Just Insert the windows 7 DVD into the DVD drive and SHIFT+F10 on disk selection screen, When Command Prompt window gets opened then type “diskpart” without the quotes and hit ENTER.
    • Now diskpart tool will get opened, so type “list disk” without the quotes and hit ENTER. Once you get list of available hard disks type “sel disk number” without the quotes and hit ENTER. Make sure that you are entering proper number of the ssd.
    • After selecting your ssd type “det disk” without the quotes and hit ENTER. You will now get list of partitions on your ssd. Just verify you have selected correct disk and proceed.
    • Once you are done with the same then type “clean all” without the quotes and hit ENTER for cleaning the disk. When the process gets over you can type “exit” without the quotes and hit enter for closing diskpart tool.
    • When you are done with all of the above steps close command Prompt window and click on refresh button for updating disk selection screen.If your drive gets listed in the screen then you can perform a clean installation of Windows further.

Try it out and feel free to ask if you have any query with above steps.