Thread: Android Open Source Project on Nexus Q?

Android Open Source Project on Nexus Q?

I wanted to know if Android Open Source Project will be supported by Nexus Q. It would be great to develop apps that would be available and work in synchronized manner on Android based tablets, smart phones, computers and televisions. Also with such apps, possibilities of having all those features that are not present in Nexus Q right now will be available for use and operation. Has anyone found any way to have Android Open Source Project support on Nexus Q?

Re: Android Open Source Project on Nexus Q?

Nexus Q doesn’t have any interface of it. It is basically used to create a bridge between multiple devices that have Android and other devices like Television. So I don’t think that Nexus Q will have any Android Open Source Project support right now. Also this is the first time by Google that they brought out something awesome like this, so I think that Android Open Source Project support won’t be provided for current version of Nexus Q. Maybe as the product goes on evolving, such features like Android Open Source Project might be made available by Google in it.

If Android Open Source Project is made to be supported by Nexus Q, the first thing type of app I would like to develop is to have a slideshow on computer which is connected to the projector. An application for Nexus 7 should be developed where I can change the frame by from my tablet or smartphone. Now if I am giving any presentation in my office, it happens that many times I have to look back to see which frame is going on. Similarly I have to use remote to keep changing the frames.

But if Android Open Source Project made available, I am sure that someone will make an app to connect the computer to tablet using Nexus Q. Now I can just use my smartphone or tablet to change the slide or take a look at the picture on the slide.

It would be difficult to have Android Open Source Project in Nexus Q because all Nexus Q does is to connect various devices using Wi-Fi. It connects devices like smartphone, tablet pc, television and computers. With so many new smartphones, tablets and televisions coming out regularly in market, it will be problematic if someone buys a device that isn’t supported by Nexus Q.

Also the manufacturers of smartphones, tablet pc and television will have to keep their hardware modifying according to Nexus Q. I think this is why the whole Android Open Source Project in Nexus Q is not so practical. It will just screw up things more than benefit it will do.

If Android Open Source Project is implemented in Nexus Q; it will serve many purposes like streaming video directly from NetFlix and many other websites that are not supported by Nexus Q. Also many audio and video formats that are not supported by Nexus Q will be supported if Android Open Source Project is provided. Also some people have raised their urge to use the Nexus 7 tablet for security reasons.

For example, they will have security cameras connected to computer while computer will be able to stream videos from it directly to the tablet. So even if you are busy in bathroom and door bell rings, you can watch the person visiting via Nexus 7 or any other device connected to Nexus Q.

Also the manufacturers of smartphones, tablet pc and television will have to keep their hardware modifying according to Nexus Q. I think this is why the whole Android Open Source Project in Nexus Q is not so practical. It will just screw up things more than benefit it will do.
    I think that if Google adds Android Open Source Project in Nexus Q’s next version, they can earn good money through it. They can have the version of Android Open Source Project for sale on their website or through bidding or any other legal process that fits their working pipeline. Now the buyers can change the Android Open Source Project and implement it in their devices so that the devices will be supported by specific app. So if two devices with same app having Android Open Source Project can connect via Nexus Q sand perform actions not supported by it right now. For example, Nexus Q doesn’t .mkv format for video. But of the Samsung puts app in their devices to run this format, one can stream .mkv video from computer to their television.