Thread: How to get apk on Nexus Q

How to get apk on Nexus Q

I have bought Nexus Q and I wanted to know if there is a way by which I can install apk on it, I have heard that we can but after searching out for the same on the web I have not yet come across the required steps for it. is there anyone who can help me out with it?? help regarding this will be appreciated thanks in advance.

Re: How to get apk on Nexus Q

Yes you can install apk on Nexus Q but then you will first have to unlock it, root it. If you want then you can refer to the below steps:

Unlocking:
    • For unlocking Nexus Q you will have to use fastboot oem unlock method, Hope you are aware that unlocking and rooting your Nexus Q will void its warranty. So if you are not having any issue with it then you can proceed. You need to have ADB installed on your computer for unlocking and rooting process. So once you get it installed follow the below steps.
      First connect your Nexus Q to your computer using usb cable and open Nexus Q.
      After that enter below command in:
      cd platform-tools
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot oem unlock
      Note : Hit enter every line of command and make sure that you are typing them as it is.
    • Now the unlocking process will get started and will take some time, so wait for the same and don’t interrupt the task unless it gets over. Once the process gets over your Nexus Q will be unlocked and you can proceed with the rooting method.

Rooting:
    • If you have disconnected Nexus Q from your computer then connect it back and open the command prompt again.
    • After that type “adb reboot bootloader” without the quotes and hit enter, when you do so the LED will turn to Solid Red color so just place your hand over mute LED while it boots up. Once the led gets Solid Red than take out your hand over it.
    • Now type “fastboot devices” followed by “fastboot oem unlock” without the quotes for unlocking its bootloader.
    • When existing data in the Nexus Q gets erased and it reboots automatically then pair your Android phone and enter debug mode by going in to settings.
    • After entering the debug mode place boot.img file for modifying default.prop entering the below values:
      ro.secure=0
      ro.debuggable=1
    • When you are done with all of the above steps then download Nexus Q Boot Image file in to your computer, open command prompt , type “adb reboot-bootloader” and hit enter. Now for starting the Nexus Q device with root permissions type “fastboot boot nexusq-boot.img” without the quotes and hit enter again.
    • Once the process gets over your Nexus Q will be unlocked and rooted, now you can proceed with the steps for installing apps.

Installing apk :
    • First pair your android device with Nexus Q , enable USB debugging and enter the below command in command prompt for launching the application.
    • adb install path/to/app.apk
    • Now after that enter the below command for installing applications:
      adb shell
      am start package.name/.Activity name
      am start com.android.settings/.Settings
      am start com.netflix.mediaclient/.UIWebViewActivity (for netflix)
      am start com.rovio.angrybirds/com.rovio.ka3d.App (Eg of angry birds)
    • Once the process gets your application will successfully get installed on your Nexus Q .

Just try it out and let me know if you have any issue with any of the above steps. I will surely try to help you with it, best of luck.

Re: How to get apk on Nexus Q

Hey thanks for the same, I will surely give it a try and will let you know if I encounter any difficulty. Currently I am not having adb installed in my system but I have gone through some articles for installing and setting up adb and I will soon follow the above solution for installing apk on my Nexus Q.