Thread: While upgrading CPU case, is it necessary to change CPU fan

While upgrading CPU case, is it necessary to change CPU fan

I am using the CPU case that I am using currently from past six years and it now looks extremely old because of the dust that is settled on it. Also it seems to have got dented from some sides, so I am planning to buy a new cabinet. I have chosen one and I will be buying in coming week. I wanted to know that since I am buying a new CPU case, will I need to buy new cooling fans too. The old ones are working fine, but still will it make any difference?

Re: While upgrading CPU case, is it necessary to change CPU fan

I think that since you are changing the CPU case after six years, you will need to change the cooling fans too. The new CPU case might have different type of connectors or attaching places, so you might need to change the cooling fans too. The six year old fans might not get properly attached or find proper place in the new CPU case. But still if they are working fine, you can give them a try, maybe they’ll work and you might not need to buy new cooling fans.

If the CPU case that you are going to buy in few days is a larger than the previous one in the size, then obviously you will need to buy new cooling fans. The cooling fans that you had for six years may not be powerful enough to provide cool air around the new bigger CPU cabinet. Thus you will need to buy new ones in case new CPU case is larger in size. Also if the existing cooling fans work in the new CPU case, you can use them along with some new cooling fans.

According to me, you should first try to attach the cooling fans inside the new CPU case, if they get attached and work properly, then you can continue using them. If inside the new CPU cabinet, still proper cooling is not available, then you can add extra heatsinks. Also if you want to use liquid cooling system, cooling fans will be useful to spread the cool air all around the cabinet. The best thing that makes the CPU case good for use is the ventilation and airflow inside it. So see that the new CPU cabinet has proper airflow and ventilation.