Thread: Seagate ST2000DM001 making high pitched sound

Seagate ST2000DM001 making high pitched sound

My Seagate ST2000DM001 is a brand new hard drive which I purchased just last week. As far as I know I made a successful installation. In fact, when I started the computer everything ran smoothly without any problem. But from past few days I have been hearing a kind of weird high pitch sound that is being produced from the hard drive. Let me tell you that I have not much idea about computer hardware and its technical aspects. So even if the problem is minor I can’t make it out easily. But I am sure everyone here is not like me. You people must be having lot of knowledge about such issues as the forum itself is meant for resolving technical issues. Please help me with some suggestion.

Re: Seagate ST2000DM001 making high pitched sound

This is the most common issue you will ever notice with Seagate hard drives. Many of my friends are facing the same problem with their hard drives too. However the model is not the same but the problem does match exactly like yours. I am one of them with one just one but two 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 hard drives. I have connected them in the RAID array in the NAS and interestingly both used to create the same chirp sound.

I am not sure once when consulted an expert with this issue he told me the problem is actually causing due to the advanced power management features i.e. the APM of the disk (I didn’t understood anything he said).

Yes, you are correct. Now I am sure that the problem is with the APM. Even I was told the same but I didn’t take it seriously as I was not at all interested in what was explained to me. But now after reading your post I am bit confident that APM was really the problem for the issue. I have also noticed that the total load cycles keeps on increasing as the chirp increases.

Other than this I have also noticed few of the other things in my computer system. I do have Marvel 9128 controllers, now when I plugged the drive into this controller, then with the help of the Drive Detect I am able to see the availability of the drive but the serial number of the drive is not at all detectable. Also flashing the BIOS becomes impossible.

I have got a work around for this problem. Not sure whether it will work for your or not but at least you can give it a try.

1. Firstly into your Admin control panel go to the Application Server, from there go to QPKG area
    2. Now from here install Optaware and activate it the ipkg will be automatically be installed
    3. Log out of telnet connection, again login with admin root authority and there type in “ipkg install hdparm”
    4. The latest version will be downloaded and installed
    5. There might be now two hdpram apps existing into the system and I am sure amongst them the original one won’t work
    6. In order to start the string you will have to use hdparm-hdparm
    7. Now visit the qnap site and there search for “Running Your Own Application at Startup”. In the resulting page follow method 3. Hope the problem will be resolved.