Thread: My Passport hard drive cannot be repaired in MAC OS X

My Passport hard drive cannot be repaired in MAC OS X

Recently I purchased an Western Digital External hard disk. I am getting below mentioned error message
    MAC OS X can't repair "My Passport" You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it.’
    At the time of backup I got
    ‘Files can't be backed up because it appears to be 'read only' You may need to repair or reformat the disk using Disk utility’
    I am not able to figure out why above mentioned issue is happening into my situation. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: My Passport hard drive cannot be repaired in MAC OS X

Looking at the situation you should simply restart your computer into single-user mode by pressing Command and S together at the time of booting. If it does not work for you than try to reset PRAM. To doing the same simply press Command, Option and PR keys together at the time of boot.

I am posting below some useful thing that you can at least try. You should execute below mentioned command on terminal.

To verify the permission of disk you need to execute following
    Code:
     diskutil verifyPermissions /
    To repair permission of the disk execute following command
    Code:
    sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
    finally to repair your disk run below mentioned command

Code:
    diskutil verifyVolume

Try below mentioned steps and let me know whether it worked for you.

Launch your computer into single-user mode. Press and Hold Command , S keys together. Now launch terminal and run below mentioned command

Code:
    /sbin/fsck –fy
    Fsck will provide all information regarding disk utilization and fragmentation. It will prompt if there is any issue on the disk, also it will let you know if any issue has been fixed by it. Execute the same command until and unless it is prompting that volume is Ok.Once it prompt that volume is ok you will need to reboot your computer.

Simply copy the content of issue causing drive to another drive and reformat the same. As far as I know whenever you get above mentioned issue, data can be copied easily but issue supposed to arise at the time of writing data on the disk.

Perform following steps,
    • Try to boot your computer by using live CD. Than click on Tools and click on Utility.
    • Here simply select hard disk ensure that you did not selected Partition. Now look at the bottom of the screen see whether it showing SMART Failure. Or also see whether disk is highlighted into red color.
    • If your answer is yes for any of above mentioned situations, then I am sorry to say disk is getting died. So only solution that I can give you to replace the drive.