Thread: My Passport Essential stopped recognizing password for unlocking WD Smartware on mac

My Passport Essential stopped recognizing password for unlocking WD Smartware on mac

I have been using My Passport Essential on my mac and everything was running fine and I was not having any issue with it by now but then I don’t know what has went wrong with it and now My Passport Essential is not recognizing the password that I was using for unlocking WD Smartware. I am quite sure that the password is right and no one has changed the same. So I just wanted to know if there is a way by which I can reset the password??

Re: My Passport Essential stopped recognizing password for unlocking WD Smartware on mac

In that case I just wanted to know the following things:
    • Are you very sure that the password that you are entering is correct??
    • What is the error message that you are getting?
    • Have you tried using your My Passport Essential by connecting it to some other computer?
    • Have you tried using some other usb cable for connecting it?
    • If that’s not helping then I think that you will have to reformat the drive, better contact the WD tech support and see what they have to say about the same.

First check out the solutions that I have suggested and then let me know if they are making any difference in your case or not.

Re: My Passport Essential stopped recognizing password for unlocking WD Smartware on mac

Quote Originally Posted by ***n View Post
    • Are you very sure that the password that you are entering is correct??
    • What is the error message that you are getting?
    • Have you tried using your My Passport Essential by connecting it to some other computer?
    • Have you tried using some other usb cable for connecting it?
    • If that’s not helping then I think that you will have to reformat the drive, better contact the WD tech support and see what they have to say about the same.
    I don’t know how will that make any difference but still i have tried using MyPassport Essential by connecting it to other computer as well as using different usb cable and I am still getting "Invalid Password" message every time when I am entering the password to unlock WD Smartware. I have contacted the WD tech support as well and they have said that I might be due to wrong password or I might have forgotten the password. They added that i will have to reformat the drive like you have said but as I have already mentioned I am quite sure that I am entering the right password and the password has not been changed. I am only the one who access this drive and I was using it as it is from months then how can it say "Invalid Password" suddenly.

I think that there is something wrong with the WD Smartware. I have important data in the drive and I really cannot lose them by just reformatting the drive. So is there any other option like I have asked for resetting the password or simply deleting the lock function?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Hey friend I am running in to the same issue?? Have you come across a solution for the same?? I have been looking after a solution for the same since two days but I have not yet got any luck. Even I am quite sure that the password that I am entering is perfectly right and I am not missing out anything. I have save the password in the system and it has not been changed and the drive was never shifted as well. It was just there as it is.

I have found a number of people having this issue and it seems to be common with My Passport Essential now a days. I am quite sure that there is something wrong with the software end and not ours. Even I had contacted the WD tech support and had addressed them the same issue but I got the same response from them, saying that I might be entering the wrong password. I was not able to convince them, they just said that I will have to reformat the drive but then just like you I am having some crucial data in the drive which I cannot lose.

I even asked them for any way that i can reset my password but they said that there is no reset or bypass for the Passport Essential as the drive is hardware encrypted by a circuit board. They had suggested me to use the drive in some other case but I did not had any luck with the same as well. I have tried out other solutions of connecting to other computer or using other usb cable but then even they are just not making any difference in my case. I am still not able to access the drive and i am still looking forward to find out a solution for this issue. So if you get any updates on this issue then do share it here, it will be pretty helpful for me as well as for other facing the same.