Thread: Dell XPS 420 fan is running on high without any Startup

Dell XPS 420 fan is running on high without any Startup

I have been using Dell XPS 420 and its specifications are as followed:
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    • 3.25 GB RAM
    • Dual 300 GB Hard Drives
    • NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

The problem that I am facing with the same is that when I am turning on the system then the fan is running too high, some time the system does not boot at all and I have to start it again several time, I don’t know what is the issue all about, I have started running in to such issues suddenly so I am not to track out the cause of the issue is there anyone who has an idea about this and can help me out in fixing it??

Re: Dell XPS 420 fan is running on high without any Startup

In that case I just wanted to know that are you facing Lights 1,3,4 pattern if yes then you can try out the solution that has been mentioned here. Basically this is an issue with the motherboard but then as you have mentioned that the issue occurs sometime then I will suggest you to better try out removing all the external devices, I mean the keyboard,mouse,monitor and then try booting and after that connect them again and see if it is making any difference if not then you can proceed removing the ram, cards and disconnect power from the drives and then Press powerbutton and check out if you are able to hear beeps and check out the lights as well if the power button remains blue then there is nothing wrong with the power supply but then it will be with some component or say the motherboard, as you have listed 2 hard drives in your system specs I just wanted to know if you have configured then in a Raid array or not, actually I am asking so because I have come across a number of people having such issues with a Raid array in their system. Just try out this possible Diagnostic and then let me know what you get.

I have faced the same issue before and I had tried out opening the case and removing the memory modules and clearing the contacts and after reseating them the system started booting up fine but then after a week the same issue started again and I tried out the same solution but then it was not helping any more, later when I was looking out for a solution to fix this in some other forum then one guy suggested me that it is an issue with the motherboard so I contacted my local pc store and he tested out the same and even he said that there is something wrong with the board, after replacing the board I found everything to be running fine and since then I have not faced the same issue again, since even you have tried out the possible solution that has been suggested to you I think that you are having same case as that of mine. Just get the motherboard tested and see if you are able to narrow down the cause or not.

In that case I will like to inform you that I have already tested out the ram and the other components on the board and I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the memory module, I don’t think that it might be the motherboard in my case as it is quite new but then I will ask someone to test it and fine it out as I am still under the warranty period, just wanted to know that can this issue be because of the PSU, I am suspecting it as I have found that when I am switching it on then it is turning on for a moment and then making a tick noise and I don’t think that it normal as well, I have asked some other experts as well about the same and a couple of them has said that it is a post failure which is making the fan running continuously and not letting the windows boot, they have suggested me to update the bios, so I am waiting for the time when I get a chance to log in to the system, until then is there anything else that I can try out??